Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,771   Posts: 1,516,526   Online: 798

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

uk road trip, sleeping in car

Ok folks, just wondering if anyone has any experience..

I am pretty well broke and cannot afford hotels/B&B's. I have loads of holiday entitlement from work to take. I can afford to drive so long as I save by sleeping in the car (I can pretty much sleep anywhere so that is not a problem).

I am thinking of taking a trip along the south coast of the UK for a week, with the aim of 'being in the right place at the right time' in terms of early morning and late evening light, so being able to park close to where I want to take photos is important. I shoot large format.

As far as I know sleeping in the car in laybys is not permitted, but wonder if the boys in blue would actually move me on. Too dangerous?

Am I crazy, is there a better option??

Thoughts appreciated.

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As you point out, sleeping in a car on a public highway is not permitted (although lots of us have done it). Just park the car out the way somewhere rather than on a main road and it should be o.k.

My brother is currently on a short motorcycle tour of Cornwall, Devon and Dorset with a friend. Their method of avoiding paying campsite charges is to set up a tent on a beach, set up some fishing rods on stands and pretend that they are out all night fishing.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The worst that can happen is that you get woken up. Given the number of lorry drivers that clutter up out laybys it doesn't happen often. Go for it and enjoy the experience.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
    As far as I know sleeping in the car in laybys is not permitted, but wonder if the boys in blue would actually move me on. Too dangerous?

Steve
    If you go to the pub of an evening you could be very unlucky and be breathalised and arrested for drink driving if the keys are available to you, even if you're just sleeping in the back.

David.
    Last edited by dsullivan; 08-13-2008 at 12:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    No problem there. I don't drink alcohol! Thanks everyone for the comments. Yeah, I'm just going to go for it !

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have had the misfortune of having to sleep in a car...it's bloody freezing at 4am. I thought it was only if you are caught in the driving seat whilst drunk that you can be prosecuted?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Holliday View Post
    I have had the misfortune of having to sleep in a car...it's bloody freezing at 4am. I thought it was only if you are caught in the driving seat whilst drunk that you can be prosecuted?
    It's anywhere, if you have the car keys on you.

And you are quite right, cars do get very cold; sleeping bag recomended, as is leaving a window open.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The times I slept in cars actually make very funny stories...but not to be shared here though! I am considering buying a VW camper, but can't imagine them being warm enough. Fishing rods are a great idea for beach camping!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    It's anywhere, if you have the car keys on you.
    Really? I thought they had to prove intent to drive which basically means keys in the ignition. I regularly get dropped off at home after a gig where I may have consumed alcohol and open up my car to put my amplifier in the back. If I was charged based on this I would definitely argue that there was no intent to drive.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The law here in Canada is (most likely) different, but intent to drive isn't relevant. Even having the keys probably isn't determinative.

The charge here revolves around care and control of the motor vehicle, and if you are even in reach of the parking/emergency brake, you can be convicted.

The trunk (boot) is probably safe.

Matt

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin