Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,548   Online: 810

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I missed out on the October trip to Anglesey as I have an exhibition with another APUGER.

But I am currently located in the middle of the UK - so if you guys want to spend some time gathering together from various airports - my place could be a good start point if you are interested.

Let me know what you think - I am based in Bedfordshire - Roughly 30 miles north of London (junction 12 on the M1) which is roughly easy to get to from most airports and rail/roads.

Although the place is up for sale it is unlikely we would be gone by then...

We have enough space to put up ten in the house and hundreds outside. As we are on a 21 acre plot. That's not a brag - just that we could play open house for all - for a good few days if you like.

Let me know what you think - it would be an honour to see you all in any case...

Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay, here is the latest update:-

After speaking to my sister yesterday who lives in Marazion, her neighbor has a a cottage that they rent out for cash. My sister thought there was room for about 8 to 10 people, so she will be getting us some information on this and I will let you know the details. There has also been several offers from UK based and Irish APUG'ers to take side trips. While I appreciate the offers, and they no doubt have some merit, I think it will add too many logisitics nightmares that we need to avoid especially as we only have 5 to 6 days to shoot with a day either side for travel to and from London's airports. Also, rather than traveling around living out of a suitcase from B&B to B&B, that could be problematic with the group size the contingent has grown too. So staying in one place and traveling to local hotspots in Cornwall and places en-route I think is the way to do it. I would also need the UK based folks to organize their own accommodation in Cornwall. I cannot take that on from the US.

One other aspect is that we are likely going to need a deposit for the cottage after I find out more details and air transportation is best booked early. Ike, Thomas and myself will likely be flying Northwest as they have a direct flight to Gatwick. For others, that might not be practical and is where we would really need to sync up on who flying from where and landing where. Going back to the finances, I need to be up front with folks. I am doing the organization only and have no trouble doing that. If we need to send out deposits to secure reservations, I will send out emails asking for that to happen. So that I do not become a bank, when we have to hand over deposits, I will expect everyone to realize that they need to pay on time and they are likely not refundable... Hence the reason to make sure you are committed to the trip. If you bail after deposits are paid, that's okay, but no refunds can be epxected from me and other trip members cannot be expected to bare the brunt either. I hope people understand I am not being a hard @$$, but just laying ground rules and it will level the playing field on who is really interested or not. I understand things happen, and you may have to back out for whatever reason, please understand what the expectations will be. It might behoove you to get travel insurance if that is a problem. Cheap and should cover things like that.

Here is the list so far of interested people:-

From the US:-

Bill Schwab
    Ike Eisenlord
    Thomas Bertilsson
    Daniel Lin
    Chazzy
    Travis Nunn
    Marianne (Mayfair 710)
    Peter Schrager

From the UK:-

Bill Spears
    Mark Burley
    John Bragg
    Steve Smith
    Snallan
    garri
    Leon
    Neil Souch
    Solarize
    Ian Grant
    Delphine
    Lucie Averill (My sister potentially)

From Sweden:-

No Mennescio
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Andrew.

While I can not commit to the trip itself, for the simple reason that it is too far ahead for me to plan, if I can't do the whole trip, I will most certainly be making my way down to Cornwall to spend a few days with you all, if not more. There is no way that I would miss the opportunity to meet up with you all while you are in the U.K.

I am quite sure that there will be more like myself sitting on the sidelines and watching this thread with interest.

Best of luck with the planning

Stoo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also would be interested in meeting up depending on timings etc. My mother-in-law is from Marazion and currently lives in Newlyn on the other side of the bay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As much as I want to go, I'm just not going to be able to afford the expense of this, so you'd better strike me from the list. I'm sorry. If you pass by Altarnun or the Jamaica Inn, take a picture for me.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At this point I am telling folks that we have 9 interested parties from the US and I am not taking on anymore interested people on this trip. The UK/European contingent may meet up with us, but they will be responsible for managing there own schedule and timeframes. I am still waiting for the brochure on the cottage to be sent via email. Please note that we may not all get a private room. Some are doubles, I hope to get those details in the email from the landlord. So we will have room to crash, but it will be cozy. As this is purely a photographic shooting excursion. The name of the game is adaptability and flexibility. Not only with sleep arrangements, but with the weather!! The Cornish weather can be very unpredictable. I am putting together an itinerary and will be sending it out. Can you please forward me your email details via APUG PM? At this point I am aiming for an April 24th through May 1st trip time at the cottage. This will give us an opportunity for night shots under a full moon on Apr 28th. Again, we can be flexible on these dates. I need to know if you are still committed on the trip with this date/time? Tentative plan would be to fly from Detroit to Heathrow on Friday April 23rd on an overnight flight. So people would need to make plans to meet at Detroit and fly over together. Pick up rental cars or van on Saturday at Heathrow and drive down to Cornwall. Or get connecting flight from Heathrow down to Newquay and pick up rental cars there. That second option would give us time to shoot for the evening on our arrival day and get settled into the cottage and less time driving! More to follow.

I will double post the outcome on the UK regional forum as and when I hear. It would be good to meet up with everyone at some point. Not sure who is taking point on the UK side to shore up arrangements? Leon, Keeds?

Here are the revised attendees:-

Here is the list so far of interested people:-

From the US:-

Bill Schwab
    Ike Eisenlord
    Thomas Bertilsson
    Daniel Lin
    Travis Nunn
    Marianne (Mayfair 710)
    Peter Schrager
    Andrew Moxom

From the UK:-

Bill Spears
    Mark Burley
    John Bragg
    Steve Smith
    Snallan
    garri
    Leon
    Neil Souch
    Solarize
    Delphine
    Lucie Averill (My sister potentially)

From Sweden:-

No Mennescio

From Turkey:-

Ian Grant

A.
    Last edited by Andrew Moxom; 03-03-2009 at 12:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andrew,

How should potentially interested UK parties connect up with the main US contingent?

Tom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andy,

Please exclude me from your list and make room for one more person. I have discovered where my passion lies in photography, and that I really don't have to travel far to get it. This trip would be nice, but I have other needs, wants, and obligations to my family that means I can't justify making this trip.

I hope good times are had by all.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom, Once dates are firmed up and everyone commits to it, we can work on scheduling meeting up with the UK folks. Leon, and Keeds did mention about taking on coodination for the UK contingent as it's something I cannot manage from this end. The dates I mentoined above are tentative, but I have to get a line in the sand somehow to even think about making this work.

Thomas, sorry to hear that but I do understand. You will be missed on this trip!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi guys

Andrew - my only post on the matter was:

Andrew - we've already talked about this and I am still very keen ... obviously we'd need to look at non-school holidays dates as the place just gets completely gridlocked around then. I've found even May to be heavily congested with tourists and caravans. We usually go in late March and more often than not, the weather is fine with great light. However, whatever date you decide upon, I'd very much like to come along.
    Just to be clear, I dont have the time or inclination to undertake any organising. I'd like to meet up with some of the US apuggers and take the opportunity to chew the fat with a like-minded group. If you are coming, I'll make my way west and hopefully catch up with you all.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin