Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,749   Posts: 1,483,781   Online: 837

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Travelling to London: where can I find some exhibition?

Hi,

I am about to leave with my family for a couple of weeks in the London area for a vacation. We'll be heading downtown 2 or 3 times.

Is there any museum or gallery that you can suggest where to have a look at some good photographs? In the internet I have found the Photographers' Gallery, but I am sure that there might be something more to see.

I appreciate your tips!

Stefano
    Stefano Ricciardi
    My photos on Flickr

Shooter
    35mm
    You've already spotted the Photographer's Gallery which is always worth a look.

The Victoria & Albert Museum has a small gallery dedicated to photography. The Tate Modern might have something on. I think their next show is Francis Bacon who used photography as a reference for some of his painting.

The Magnum Print Room is worth a visit just to feel the energy of the place.

The Stephanie Hoppen Gallery is showing work by Martin Osner.

Grab a copy of one of the free papers they give out on the underground. They have an exhibition listing in the back.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    V&A has a print room you can visit but it's a bit slow - only a patient photographer waiting to see real photographs in the flesh with no glass in the way will understand waiting to see some pictures for 5 minutes. It's free but they don't allow pens and anything bigger than a sheet of paper (or thereabouts) into the room. Check your items into the cloakroom on the ground floor (sub-ground floor? near the subway entrance), take the lift up to the right floor and you'll find it easily. Can't remember which floor off hand. You should also have a list of what you'd like to look up to ask to be brought out as it's not a browsing sort of gallery.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    The Atlas Gallery often have good exhibitions on (they are a fine art photography gallery), they had a great selection of Josef Hoflehner's Iceland work earlier in the year and aren't far from the British Museum which you could take in at the same time:

http://www.atlasgallery.com/

Barry
    My website: Light Work

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you guys!
    Stefano Ricciardi
    My photos on Flickr

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin