Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,211   Posts: 1,531,988   Online: 1117

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Recommended B&W Film Processing in UK?

I have a colleague in Cambridge, UK, who has asked me to enquire about APUG members' experiences with black and white film/print processing services, as he has no access to a darkroom or any processing equipment at present.

He has a couple of rolls of black & white 35mm (not chromogenic) that he'd like reliably processed and at least competently printed to around postcard size. He's happy to send off by post, but obviously if anyone knows of any service local to Cambridge then that might be safer.

Any recommendations based on personal experiences?
    Roy
    ----------------
    Real Photographs | Weeping Ash U.K.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "We cannot compete with those English fellows."
    - overheard by Alfred Stieglitz at the Joint Exhibition, New York City, 1891.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hopefully someone might know of such a service local to Cambridge but if not there are a few options. 1. He gets some simple neg processing equipment - worthwhile if he intends to do this regularly and finds a local mini-lab who can print reasonably onto RA4 paper. It is likely to have a slight colour cast
    2. He uses the Ilford B&W service. Better option but involves using Ilford film and a mailer.
    3. Have look in the B&W magasine. There are a number of B&W processors listed but none I could find in the Cambridge area.
    4. Finds a local camera club that still has darkroom facilities.

best of luck

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    2. He uses the Ilford B&W service. Better option but involves using Ilford film and a mailer
    best of luck

pentaxuser
    I don't think the Ilford service is restricted to Ilford film - try downloading the order form.

Not being in the UK, I can't use Ilford, but I find their service to be a fascinating addition to the marketplace.

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Quite right Matt. Sorry OP I was mixing it up with the pre-paid processing mailer that can be paid for when buying an Ilford film from stockists.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraxinus View Post
    I have a colleague in Cambridge, UK, who has asked me to enquire about APUG members' experiences with black and white film/print processing services, as he has no access to a darkroom or any processing equipment at present.

He has a couple of rolls of black & white 35mm (not chromogenic) that he'd like reliably processed and at least competently printed to around postcard size. He's happy to send off by post, but obviously if anyone knows of any service local to Cambridge then that might be safer.

Any recommendations based on personal experiences?
    Buy a copy of Black & White Photography magazine and search the advertisements for processing and printing. They probably offer a good service.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am based in Bedfordshire - but do look for help from Palm in Birmingham if swamped. Great service and will cover all processes in one go.
    Great service - never let me down.

Yes I do process my own - but twenty films up and more then - yes I ask for their help.

My opinion is - their consistency is better than my own with regard to large batches...

Thanks - MB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions., I'll pass them on.
    Roy
    ----------------
    Real Photographs | Weeping Ash U.K.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "We cannot compete with those English fellows."
    - overheard by Alfred Stieglitz at the Joint Exhibition, New York City, 1891.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Peak imaging can generally be relied upon to do a good job.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have heard good reports of the Ilford service http://www.ilfordphoto.com/wheretobuy/page.asp?n=145

No idea how the price would compare to a more local lab

Thanks

Martin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin