Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,350   Online: 819

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    We don't have Jessops in the US, but the story is familiar, and sometimes much worse here. I was reading over on TOP a while ago about Tom Hogan's "Predictions" for the 2009 photography market:

http://www.bythom.com/2009predictions.htm

In a nutshell he says the economic downturn will wreak destruction upon the photography stores that are in the "lacking focus" group. (No pun intended)

IDK if that will be good or bad for film, or how well the prediction will hold up, I just thought of it as I perused this thread, and some of the comments about this particular chain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A D3 sensor an a camera to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Nikon F what a way to add insult to injury, digital imaging celebrating a technology it has all but destroyed.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just looked at their share price over the last five years [http://www.lse.co.uk/ShareChart.asp?...&share=jessops and it don't look good.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Link now updated, originally it pointed to the Photo.net homepage.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 11-22-2008 at 04:16 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: no longer valid question

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jessops problem is it seemed to think it could re-invent itself as another Dixons which was itself once a highly successful national chain of Photo stores.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think the quality of Jessop's stores must vary with the knowledge and interest of the staff they employ rather than follow a central management methodology. My local shop has a couple of staff who know about traditional products, one of whom seems to make sure that the core products they stock such as a variety of developers, fixers film and paper are always in stock.

I can only judge the rest of the stores by what I read here though as the only other one I have visited was in Glasgow and that one also seemed to be quite good. If I remember correctly, it had a well stocked traditional photography department in the basement. This was five years ago though so a lot could have changed that way.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The two Jessops stores in Aberystwyth are quite good, and the Southend branch has a couple of people who know photography. Their lab tech is very knowledgable too. Unfortunately they also frequently suffer from 'Haven't got it, but we can order it in a few days for you...' A pointless attitude in the day of online ordering and next day delivery.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Link now updated, originally it pointed to the Photo.net homepage.

Ian
    Thanks Ian , I realized my mistake, I am to computers what Jessops are to Photo retailing.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andy K makes a good point without realising it - if the Jessops store is near a University or good college there's often a greater demand for materials from students and the stores do tend to be better stocked.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Andy K makes a good point without realising it - if the Jessops store is near a University or good college there's often a greater demand for materials from students and the stores do tend to be better stocked.

Ian
    Which is exactly the case in Swansea. Jessops is 2 minutes walk from the Photography Department of Swansea Metropolitan University. They not only have a decent range of trad materials in stock, they have also managed to retain some of their more knowledgeable staff.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin