Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,080   Online: 990

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mealers View Post
    I've just got back from a fortnight in Cuba and if I had to pick a place out of west Cornwall and Cuba to photograph again it would definatly be Cornwall!
    Mike
    You wouldn't be kind enough to elaborate more on this comment Mealers? Only, I have always thought that Cuba was 'THE' destination when you have a camera in hand.

It would be good to hear why this was not the case fron someone who has experienced it.

Cheers

Stoo

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    It looks like it Martin. The options seem to be Cornwall, Cornwall, Cornwall... or Devon...

Any additions to:
    * West Cornwall (St Ives?)
    * Mid/East Cornwall (Newquay?)
    * North Devon (???)

Locals please feel free to suggest better bases - I don't know the area at all!

Nope – reading back through the thread this is all we suggested :o

We seem strangely in agreement as to the next meet general location

Outer Hebrides anyone ?

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Exmoor or West Cornwall are good photographic options? Depends how far people want to drive?

Barry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The further west you go in Cornwall the narrower the peninsular gets, this gives easy access to both the north coast and south. St Ives would be a good base for this, in fact from here, any part of west cornwall can be reached easily : The Lizard, Godrevy, Penzance, Lands end, Cape Cornwall, Sennen area are all great locations with awesome coastal scenery.

However, Exmoor/North Devon sounds interesting as I've never been there and would find it hard to choose between the two.

Bill

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Personally, I found the most westerly bit of Cornwall has the best weather.

Of course it rains at Lands End/Penzance/St Ives but the weather fronts tend to move through quickly

When using a LF camera it presents problems - it takes so very long to get the camera set-up that by the time I am ready to shoot - the light has changed - sometimes several times

It can be quite character building :rolleyes:

Martin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was told that Dartmoor is more pittoresque than Exmoor.

Could we do the Cornish coast and Dartmoor or would it be too much?

Whatever happens weather wise, I'd wish that we did not have a repeat of Anglesey's. Who's in charge of the weather this time?

Last edited by delphine; 11-25-2008 at 06:19 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Too late, can't line up two words without making mistakes

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoo Batchelor View Post
    You wouldn't be kind enough to elaborate more on this comment Mealers? Only, I have always thought that Cuba was 'THE' destination when you have a camera in hand.

It would be good to hear why this was not the case fron someone who has experienced it.

Cheers

Stoo
    Stoo - Dont get me wrong Cuba is an amazing place to visit and photograph. Maybe if I went there just to take photographs (and not on holiday with the Mrs) I would feel different.
    But watching the countryside fly by on the train while heading back to Plymouth made me realise just how lucky we are when it comes to variety of good photography locations in the UK.

Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bill spears View Post
    The further west you go in Cornwall the narrower the peninsular gets, this gives easy access to both the north coast and south. St Ives would be a good base for this, in fact from here, any part of west cornwall can be reached easily : The Lizard, Godrevy, Penzance, Lands end, Cape Cornwall, Sennen area are all great locations with awesome coastal scenery.

However, Exmoor/North Devon sounds interesting as I've never been there and would find it hard to choose between the two.

Bill
    One of the reasons I like west Cornwall is the option of having both coasts. If its blowing a gale on one side you can usually find a bit of shelter on the other with just as amazing scenery.

The North Devon coastline also has its gems, places like Hartland Quay for its rock formations or Clovelly which is a real old fishing village.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by delphine View Post
    Who's in charge of the weather this time?

Delphine you jest :o

In Anglesey there was a unanimous vote that Barry was sacked from his weather duties and one Ms Lopez was unanimously voted into the role

The fact that you were not present at the time is of little consequence. :rolleyes:

Martin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    It looks like it Martin. The options seem to be Cornwall, Cornwall, Cornwall... or Devon...

Any additions to:
    * West Cornwall (St Ives?)
    * Mid/East Cornwall (Newquay?)
    * North Devon (???)

Locals please feel free to suggest better bases - I don't know the area at all!
    OK, do we want to add Exmoor & Dartmoor into the voting options?

Martin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin