Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,758   Online: 1257

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Neil for your input.

The Carbis offer is not bad because it includes the evening meal and breakfast. So that would be fine with me, but it is true that it is more expensive than what we paid for at the previous gatherings. So it is worth considering all options to keep the gathering open to as many people as possible.

I think that Ian & Heather's idea about the cottage rental is quite good, and possibly a cheaper alternative. And so all the more, if there was a Friday changeover.
    I feel very uneasy to commit about the duration of my trip because I don't know whether I'll have managed to sort out my driving license and car before April, nor do I know how I'll cope with driving on the wrong side of the road. But if the car&license are sorted out, I'd be willing to stay for a week or so, rather than just the week-end.
    So, from that point of view, I find the cottage appealing.

My 2 cents,

Delphine
    I

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although I've lived in Cornwall for 45yrs I've never stayed in any of its hotels so can't personally recommend any but this place is in Lelant which is acouple of miles from St Ives. Its right on the main road and easy to find and also about 10min walk to the stunning beaches and near the Hayle estuary: http://www.thebadgerinn.co.uk/booking.html If I'm reading the tariff right its £75 per room per night not per person as is Carbis bay ?

Sorry, dont know how to make this a link !!

Bill
    Last edited by bill spears; 12-17-2008 at 02:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey ... it is a link !

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've just looked at the booking online thing for Carbis Bay and it only offered me a family room for the Friday for 2 nights (arrive Friday 24th leave Sunday). I think they might be full up that weekend based on that?
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There seems to be quite a number of decent-looking Guest Houses / Hotels in the St Ives area. Presumably, that's the sort of place we should be considering? I'm assuming we'll be stopping for the two nights - 24th and 25t April. Please confirm. Here's a couple of hotels that look quite reasonable:

http://www.hotelsteia.co.uk/
    http://www.edgarshotel.co.uk/

I get the impression that £70-80 per room per night for B&B is about the going rate. That's the sort of price I'd be prepared to pay. As for evening meals, I'd rather eat out than in the hotel in which I'm staying. However, I am happy to go with the majority vote.

As previously mentioned, it seems that some of these are getting booked already. On the basis that the cost will be around the £150-160 for two nights, please count me and Mrs. Analog Kid 'in'.
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I will try to answer as much as possible in this but do get back to me if I've missed anything.

It looks as if the Carbis Bay is pretty booked that weekend - it is quite popular.

The Badger at Lelant is OK position wise but it is more a pub than a hotel (car park small with nothing out in the street) and I'm not sure how many bedrooms - maybe not enough for the group. Otherwise nice place

St Ives is a good location (also has the St Ives TATE) with plenty of small hotels / pubs restaurants etc. Down side very few premises have car parking in St Ives so cars would have to be left in the public car parks which can be a bit of a bun fight.

Penzance would be worth looking at location wise but I did do a few checks and the prices I came up with were about the same as Carbis Bay. Also car parking in Penzance can be a problem with the smaller hotels.

I was under the impression that with these dos folks wanted to be in one hotel all together so that really pushes you to the medium to large sized hotels. If folks don't mind being split up small B&Bs / cottages and the like would give the best deals cost wise but several of them would have to be used to accommodate everyone.

I don't think we can expect to find a Seahouses type of deal in West Cornwall in late April.

Neil.
    Last edited by Neil Souch; 12-18-2008 at 04:07 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by delphine View Post
    Thanks Neil for your input.
    .........I feel very uneasy to commit about the duration of my trip because I don't know whether I'll have managed to sort out my driving license and car before April, nor do I know how I'll cope with driving on the wrong side of the road. But if the car&license are sorted out, I'd be willing to stay for a week or so, rather than just the week-end.
    So, from that point of view, I find the cottage appealing.

My 2 cents,

Delphine
    I

Hi Delphine, best of luck with test and car. Don't worry about the driving just jump on the train and we can pick you up at Camborne or St Erth.
    I am sure there will be enough cars here to take you around

Neil.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Firstly, I would also like to thank Neil for the work that he has done so far, much appreciated. Personally, the pricing for the Carbis Bay Hotel was about right, and I would not have a problem stretching to that. Personally I feel that it would be a shame if the group was divided in to separate accommodation, as I feel the whole ethos of the weekend would be undermined. Also, it is quite important to have an area where the group can get together for print sharing, such as the lounge area we had at Seahouses, which for me, is my favourite part of these get together's.

St Ives, for me , would be the icing on the cake, though Penzance is more centrally located for the area.

My tuppence worth

Stoo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just called the Carbis bay hotel, the only availabilities for 24-26 April is 2 double room and 1 family room.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I think I might have been wrong about the pricing of the Carbis Bay

Having done some hunting around on the internet, Carbis Bay looks like quite good value for money against the local alternatives

Like Stoo, I find the evening discussion/chat the most enjoyable part of the whole experience.

Being spread across a few or many different venues would make the viewing of other peoples prints over a glass of wine in the evening much more difficult

My wife and I always rent a cottage for our annual visit to West Cornwall (http://www.westcornwallcottageholidays.com/) but the reality of getting several people up, showered , breakfasted and tidied up does not appeal

Incidentally for those thinking about public transport, Penzance is a main line Railway Station, with a regular local train service to St Ives.

Martin

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin