Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,917   Posts: 1,556,415   Online: 1154

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

UK 2009 Spring Meet - April 25/26 West Cornwall

Jolly good.

Now we know where and when, we will need some local insight as to where to stay and what to see in the bottom left hand corner...

Where to stay is more important at the moment as the sooner we can book, the better chance of finding somewhere that can take all that are going.

Suggestions please...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    Jolly good.

Now we know where and when, we will need some local insight as to where to stay and what to see in the bottom left hand corner...

Where to stay is more important at the moment as the sooner we can book, the better chance of finding somewhere that can take all that are going.

Suggestions please...
    Bob,

The RPS have used the Carbis Bay Hotel quite a lot over the last few years and I have stayed there myself and it is excellent in all respects. Also being right next to the beach at Carbis Bay early morning photo forays can be done if the desire takes you. the location is very good as well for getting to places within the area. If the group approves I am willing to approach the hotel and see if we can get a discount off their tarrif, but this may not be possible, but I'll give it a go. When looking at the room rates bear in mind that breakfast and evening meals are included and the standard is very good. To see what the Carbis Bay has to offer go to:

www.carbisbayhotel.co.uk

Loads of other hotels / accommodation exists of course but I have never used any of them so cannot recommend. Maybe someone else in the area knows some good establishments?

With locations - no problems, maybe those going would like to indicated the sort of subjects they would like to look at and I'll get back with some suggestions. To think about about are Engine houses / mine workings/ (old and new), coastal, heritage (quoits etc), harbours, villages, woodlands and moorland outcrops (these do need a bit walking to).

All the best and we look forward to welcoming all those coming to West Cornwall in 2009

Neil.
    Last edited by Neil Souch; 12-16-2008 at 05:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Neil, the Carbis Bay Hotel looks absolutely fabulous but rather too pricey.

We use the Hotel mostly as a base from which we explore the area, so need far fewer facilities than the Carbis Bay offers.

I don’t remember exactly how much we paid for Anglesey or Seahouses but that is more the price/standard of Hotel I had imagined.

I don’t see any harm in approaching them to see what sort of deal they are prepared to offer us but at the same time we need to try and find a few slightly more down market alternatives?

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Martin,
    The problem is down here April is deemed as mid-season! From experience with the RPS dos at the Carbis Bay there will be little chance of negotiating anything until some numbers are known. Their website says 10% off if 30 book but I've assumed we shall be no where near that so realistically if anything could be done it would only be a few % . I think you would have a job to find a Seahouses deal in the area but I could be wrong. Can someone else in the area who has used a few local hotels give a recommendation?

A cheaper option (the other end of the scale in fact!) would be to base ourselves at St Just where there is a big free public car park and use the local pubs / BBs but we would probably be split between two or three primises - not too much of a problem as they are mainly around the town square. But apart from having a drink in these places I have no idea of what they are like tp stay in. But if cost is a main factor some good savings could be achieved by going down this route.

Personally I didn't think the Carbis Bay was too steep (for what is on offer) as I have recently paid £67 to stay in Travelodges and that's just for the bed !

Neil.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it will be difficult to find a much cheaper 'all-in' option at that time of year in Cornwall.

Barry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I ran workshops in the late 80's - early 90's I always rented houses, this worked out quite cheap for 7-10 people even if they didn't all stay a week, just a weekend, but unfortunately Cornwall is probably the most expensive part of the UK, I was there last April. There are much cheaper small Hotels but inland not in tourist resorts.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    May be a "Premier Inn" would be OK?

http://www.premierinn.com/pti/pTiibs...o?INNID=HAYLOG

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Not a huge amount of close together places but lots of possibilities for sharing... but generally are for a week not weekend (hm) though some have weekend fares.
    http://www.westcountrycottages.co.uk...llcottages.htm
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post

There is a large Premier Inn at Hayle which would do. It is located just off the A39 (roundabout) on the east side of Hayle. I have checked the price for a room (single occupancy) for the 24/25/26 April and was quoted £177.00 ( £59 per night). Added to this of course would be meals - £7.35 for full breakfast and dinner at say £15 ??? The Inn is OK but may be noisey as it is very near the A30 dual carriageway. With the food estimates above you would be paying £1.35 per day more than at the Carbis Bay Hotel However, if you wish to cut back on the food costs savings can be made.

Neil.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post

On the same site as the Premier Inn at Hayle there is also a Travelodge. I have been quoted by Travelodge £207 (£69 per night) for the same three dates - no food of course - this must be added on. The Travelodge is on a busy gargage site and much nearer to the A30 than the Premier Inn.

Neil.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin