Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,971   Online: 1061

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

help with calculating import charges

sorry to brother with this again...
    but i really cant understand how does it work out...

the camera is US $149.99
    shipping is US $36.35

is the import tax calculate as the total including the P&P?
    is it still 15% now?
    'cos i heard there will be 6% for importing to EU then there will be another 6% to get into UK... so confusing...

thanks very much for your help

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you get charged import duty into the UK it's added to the item values & also the postage costs, first VAT and then the duty, it's cumulative. VAT is 15% Import duty around 3% it can vary but cameras etc fall into that bracket.

A rough rule of thumb is expect 20% for total import duties, however I've only paid duty twice on smaller packages out of about 40-50, so you may be lucky. That included 3 Speed/Crown Graphics, many lenses and 3 or 4 other cameras, all from the US.

Before VAT was reduced the most I ever paid was around 21%. in total on two 10x8 cameras. Some new items may be at the higher 6% rate on top of VAT

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    20% (when VAT was 17%) seems about right from my experience, though I have to admit I have never been able to get to the actual figures they charge. I wondered if they have varying levels of import duty based on what it is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did read somewhere about a collection of volumes detailing how much duty a particular item attracts; however it may have been along the lines of in the basement of the local tax office...

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's a table online somewhere published by Customs & Excise. There's no duty on Digital Cameras but duty on Fim cameras, work that one out

There's still VAT though

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    my god ... GAS is so bad...
    i am looking at the F3
    and i know it will be cheaper if i wait for a right one to come up

but whenever i sit in front of the computer
    i want to press BUY IT NOW!!!

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    In theory you pay 6% luxury import tax on the whole amount (inc shipping) and then VAT at what ever rate it is on the whole amount including the 6% luxury tax

However, if the whole package is less than a value (I think its something like £50) they don't bother charging anything - as its not worth their effort to collect such small amounts.

I have imported lots of stuff from the USA (very simple to do as the Shipping Agent does all the work) but never really understood when & how much I would be charged - I just smiled and paid up.

Good luck

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's no consistency on what items get duty added to them, there's such a huge volume of International parcel post that a lot gets through without any Duty & VAT at all. Their seems to be an arbitrary cut off somewhere between £50 - £100 because of the time it takes to calculate & produce the paper work for each item, so in effect Customs & Excise look for larger & more valuable packages to maximise the revenue from each operative.

It also seems to vary depending on the location of the point of entry into the UK.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The C&E have a 'hub' at Coventry where the charges are calculated. It's now rare to get away without paying duty on imported items, especially from the US. Unfortunately you also get a bill from the Royal Mail for handling the charge.

I am still trying to get my money back for vat levied on two photo books, plus the RM charge. There is no vat on books, so they made a mistake. However, trying to get my money back, including the RM charge is proving very difficult. Or at least they are being difficult!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Good luck Barry

I tried to get the VAT back on imported books and failed miserably when I ran into a wall of total indifference - but you might have more luck

Martin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin