Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,763   Online: 979

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you all. I never expected such a response. I have & do use the monopod/tripod/cable shutter release options whenever possible, of course. I also lean/wedge myself into relatively stable positions whenever possible. The situations which most often cause the problem are where I'm faced suddenly with the opportunity for a shot & I have very limited time to compose myself, :-) let alone the shot. And certainly not set up a tripod or monopod. It's probably the result of my inexperience, but in my effort & determination to get the shot onto film that I can see before me, the adrenalin flows, the expectation rises and the frustration at not being able to move quickly/efficiently enough all contribute to an end result which has all the bodily stability characteristics of a water divining fork. :-)
    I do like the look/idea of the chest support Andy which, complimented by Cheryl's breathing techniques might well provide a very considerable component of the solution, if not all of it.
    I certainly have plenty to think about from all of your suggestions. All of which are genuinely appreciated.

Regards,
    Jack

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    Today you wouldn't know that she'd ever been through that ordeal. The only obvious lasting effect is the loss of hearing in one ear. She credits her recovery to a lot of hard work at therapy.
    You're right my friend. The trick is to win the battle in your mind & you'll go at least a considerable way towards winning the battle in your body too.
    I also have cancer. Deemed, by the ooncologists, three years ago, to be terminal. There is no doubt that it will get me eventually, but in the meantime I am living my life to best of my ability & to its fullest potential.
    So thank you for your encouragement & best wishes to your friend.

Regards,
    Jack

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Jack. It si inspirational ro hear of someone who is going through your experience and continues to live their life to the fullest. I believe others have suggested VR lenses, and that could help. You could visit a shop and try them out to see if they meet your needs. Rgds, Kal

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm goping to have to look into this VR lens issue :-)
    But first of all I need to be sure that I understand what VR is. I assume it is some sort of IS system, but in the lens rather than in the camera body [as is the Sony IS system] The problem is that I have a whole bagful of Nikon Nikkor lenses & a Tokina and Tamron and Vivitar.
    If The VR system is indisputably the only sure way to solve the problem I'll set aside my present lenses & buy new ones. I must admit that my preconditioned response to the problem, until I raised it here, was to use the lenses I'd got - but be selective about the discipline areas within photography that I engage in. i.e. Portrait-Landscape-Studio. The sort of things that don't require quick and rock-steady reflexes. :-) And in which I can reasonably be expected to use a tripod, with isolated shutter-release.
    Are VR lenses particularly expensive? And are they easily available through normal photographic retail outlets?
    Can I buy good quality second-hand components on eBay?

J

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Strokebloke View Post
    I'm goping to have to look into this VR lens issue :-)
    But first of all I need to be sure that I understand what VR is. I assume it is some sort of IS system, but in the lens rather than in the camera body [as is the Sony IS system] The problem is that I have a whole bagful of Nikon Nikkor lenses & a Tokina and Tamron and Vivitar.
    If The VR system is indisputably the only sure way to solve the problem I'll set aside my present lenses & buy new ones. I must admit that my preconditioned response to the problem, until I raised it here, was to use the lenses I'd got - but be selective about the discipline areas within photography that I engage in. i.e. Portrait-Landscape-Studio. The sort of things that don't require quick and rock-steady reflexes. :-) And in which I can reasonably be expected to use a tripod, with isolated shutter-release.
    Are VR lenses particularly expensive? And are they easily available through normal photographic retail outlets?
    Can I buy good quality second-hand components on eBay?

J
    VR, IS ... the camera companies like throwing around digrams now. Anything that sounds like.

I suggest you look at KEH.com for these lenses. Yes I know the shipping is expensive to the UK but they have a great return policy and they are very conservative about the equipment grading. I find that their EX is quite good.

If the price tag for a lens that you like is high, just divide the cost by the number of photographs that you will take during the next year!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Canon uses "IS" for "Image Stabilization." Nikon uses "VR" for "Vibration Reduction." Both companies incorporate most of their respective stabilization system mechanisms into the lens itself, with electronics in the camera bodies to support them. Sony and Pentax incorporate the stabilization systems completely into the camera body, though not in any film capture cameras. There are arguments supporting and denigrating both systems. Honestly, I don't know which is the better system. I've seen and tried both types and both seem to work well. All things being equal, I like the approach that Sony and Pentax have taken - Pentax especially. The Pentax DSLR bodies (please forgive me for mentioning these things, but they really are good machines and don't get the credit they deserve) will accept any lens made for any Pentax back to the M42 screw mount days via an adapter and the image stabilization system will work. Try that with your Nikon and Canon bodies.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am also a disabled person. I have to use a walker most of the time. I have attached a tripod center column to my walker by means of a clamp (I used a clamp for cymbal stands - I used to be a drummer). It works perfectly! I get great support for the camera without having to lug around a tripod.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi, sorry to hear about your extra challenges. But on the other hand, this is quite inspiring. I'd love to see how you progress!

There are a number of tools that may help. Foremost I think you'll need to try some tripods and heads and/or camera stands.

It seems to me that the easiest approach would be to work with an autofocus body and cable release or electromagnetic release. Concerning VR/IS: when shooting from a very high and wobbly tripod (actually a ~20ft ham radio mini-tower), I used an film AF body (Nikon F100), a remote, and an inexpensive VR lens, the 24-120 VR. The results were actually quite successful. I have also shot a Nikon DSLR in that configuration, shooting tethered by USB cable to a laptop. Something along these lines may work for you if getting into position behind a camera on a tripod is too laborious. Or if you definitely want to shoot film but need more flexible viewing options, perhaps a waistlevel viewfinder would be advantageous?

Mind you, you needn't use any modern doodads or digitals or fancy stabilized equipment; all of us know very well that optimal results are gotten from a tripod, with careful technique, resorting to MLU or a timer or such if necessary.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was also going to suggest something with a waist-level viewfinder, like a Rolleiflex or Yashica or Minolta Automat, to name a few. You can ignore the issues with your malfunctioning limb, and let your entire body act as the tripod. Keep a cable release fitted to the shutter button, and you can shoot relatively hands-free, taking a lot of the vibration from hand-holding out of the equation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the cheapest way to go for hand-held shot would be to combine a fast film with a wide-angle lens. As for portraits and wildlife a tripod is generally required. This should allow you to employ a slow film and a tele-lens too.
    B&W is silver.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin