Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,409   Online: 984

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are right, never thought about the c41 B+W films. I think XP2-Super is a great film and have liked the results. Also, in my experience it is a much better film than the Kodak bw400cn.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Nobody has mentiond Ilford XP2 Super. If you like fine grain, lots of detail and smooth tones it is worth a punt. Also benefits from a wide exposure latitude, and copes with contrasty scenes well (keeping highlight and shadow detail well). Pics from 35mm are so smooth they almost look like medium format.....

It is C41 process, though, which some may not like.
    I never mentioned either, but I never really cared for the tonality and look of it. Lots of people do though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Personally I would plumb for Neopan 400. It has been hugely kind for me. It also seems to impart a lovely silver glow to my prints - which I don't get with other film stock, (at least not so far anyway).

Mark

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Yup. I agree. Tri-X is a bit "lighter" (not tonewise, but contrast/mood wise) in my experience, due to the spectral sensitivity's effect on the shadows in daylight. I love the look for some things, and when I want it, I still use Tri-X, even though I have switched to HP5 as my general purpose film. I think HP5 flatters skin more than Tri-X, so usually use it for portraits, when I must do them.
    I never understood why it would be that way, and I appreciate the info. I haven't shot that many portraits, but I'll have to try it.
    Chris Klug
    -----------
    My photo life story: http://patternsoflightndark.com/wordpress/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My film of choice is Delta 400 (35mm) and I dev. it in ID11 stock for 9.5 mins.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    XP2!Prewar tonality without prewar grain.Sadly not available in sheet form but there's always HP5+ [love it in PCAT or PMK and pushes well in DDX/Microphen too]. APX 400 was lovely and indeed is if you still have some.Forte was grainy but lovely tones-great in sheet form though.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't been able to get onto APUG much in the last month or so but when I do get on this is the sort of thread that's wonderful to come across. Lots of useful observations and passionate comments and so very, very useful for those relatively new to things like me.
    I am still experimenting with various films, including my first use of XP2, which is currently in my camera at the moment, but, for what its worth, Tri X seems to be the one I like most so far. Another five years and I might have a favourite!
    Graham
    William Ralph Dean - Inspiration to four generations of my family

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin