Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,712   Online: 772

Thread: old to new

Shooter
    35mm

old to new

Hi,

I want to get my Olympus OM2n back to work. Would like to use a day light tank for the film and then scan it in to my PC.

If memory serves me right, the film chemistry has a very short life, how can I extend it? what scanner should I buy up to about £250.00

Many thanks

Lady Jenny

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lady View Post
    Hi,

I want to get my Olympus OM2n back to work. Would like to use a day light tank for the film and then scan it in to my PC.

If memory serves me right, the film chemistry has a very short life, how can I extend it? what scanner should I buy up to about £250.00

Many thanks

Lady Jenny
    Stop bath and fixer keep a long time as unused concentrates. Film developer keeps less well, the exception being Rodinal, not ideal in every respect (lots of grain), but the concentrate keeps almost indefinitely. Film developer is not that expensive, throwing away leftover time-expired concentrate will not break the bank.

35mm scanner? I would say simply - the best Nikon Coolscan you can find secondhand (probably a III, maybe a IV).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not all film chemistry has a short life, I use Pyrocat HD which I make up myself and that keeps well over a year, much longer if I used the Glycol version. Ilfotec HC or LC has a long shelf life even part used, so does Rodinal.

Your scanner question is best asked on APUG sister site Hybridphoto.com

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin