Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,685   Posts: 1,482,260   Online: 1018

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Second hand store in London ?

Hi !

I'm french, but I'll be on London next week. I will bring my Digital camera with me ( 450D canon ), but I'm dying to buy a film based camera. I was just wondering if I could find a good second hand store in London. I thought about buying a EOS 1n ( then I'll be able to mount my canon lenses on it ) or maybe a Nikon F5, or any 6*6 camera. I don't have a lot of money so, could you please advise me any good store ? (I'll be on Oxford Street and have no car)

Thanks in advance ! =)

Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You certainly don't need (or want) a car in the centre of London!

Try Aperture in Museum Street (near the British Museum and not far from Oxford Street). If you get there at lunchtime you can eat there too as it's a combined café and secondhand camera store.

http://www.apertureuk.com/about.htm

They have a link to a map.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for your reactivity ! I will go there then and have a look. First time in Central London, no need for a car (only good shoes !!) I will walk a lot !!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As Steve says Aperture would be a good place to start, there are some good lower priced Canon EOS's and you should be able to find a body at a very reasonable price, if you stay with Canon then you save on lenses, and perhaps could get a 6x6 as well (Maybe later).

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Just a little north of Oxford street - http://www.nicholascamera.com/

Don't know what they are like, but judging from the price lists, they may be willing to haggle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Just a little north of Oxford street - http://www.nicholascamera.com/

Don't know what they are like, but judging from the price lists, they may be willing to haggle.
    This is the only store that MUST be avoided, they have a terrible reputation, there's many comments in other threads on this Forum.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you ! nicholas seems to be more expensive judging by their price list. But I'll check also. Anyway, I've got a whole week to find my camera =) =)
    By the way, I take the opportunity to ask if anyone is selling any film camera, just let me know

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    This is the only store that MUST be avoided, they have a terrible reputation, there's many comments in other threads on this Forum.
    Thanks for the warning - The only information to hand was some old magazine adverts.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    mr cad is like an aladdins cave for secondhand gear but give them a call or check the website first as they are about 10 miles out of town. avoid nicholas cameras too!!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post

Ian
    I went into Nicholas Cameras a couple weeks back and was amazed at the amount of equipment they had.....I've never seen so much kit. Everything from 5x4 monorails through 6x6 and 35mm down to something they call dig***l?

While I was there grazing, I saw them deal with several customers, and have to admit they are not the place to go if you don't know "exactly" what your looking for and what the going prices are. Pricing seems to be made up at the time of asking.

It's like an Alladins cave of kit, god alone knows how they know what they have in stock as there was photographic equipment lurking in every nook and cranny!

When I mentioned their website, the salesman just rolled his eyes and pleaded with me not to talk about it as it has not been updated for years apparently !

Mike (btw, i have no affiliation with them)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin