Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,222   Online: 827

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I thought I would give this a bump.

Though Martin mentioned earlier that if your not 100% sure if your going, don't get involved with the voting, I thought I would stick my nose in and bump the thread as I can see that Tony has spent some considerable time searching the web for different venues, and as yet there has been no takers.

I do feel that you are all cutting it a bit fine, and if you don't make your minds up this could be the first year that there is no U.K APUG Autumn meet.

If your still up for it I would suggest showing some interest. Sorry if this sounds a bit blunt, it's not meant to, my heads a bit sleepy.

Best Regards

Stoo

Quote Originally Posted by Brook Hill View Post
    If the Autumn Meet is to happen we need to sort out the hotel now because they are starting to get booked up. From the recommendations on this thread and looking at the Visitors Guide it comes down to four possibilities which have sufficient facilities, have rooms available and are reasonable priced. Some do have a bigger supplement for singles than others and the bar varies from canned beer only to a full pub.
    The details of them are as follows:-
    Buxton
    The Portland Hotel AA 2 star
    Double room 2 people Dinner Bed & breakfast £40 per person per night for a min 2night booking
    13 double, 4 twin 5 single all ensuite.
    single room £40 as above for available single rooms (5 at the moment)
    single occupancy of double room will be a supplement
    Bar available (Boddington Smooth) and a lounge. Restaurant available to non residents. No meals available on Sunday.

Alison Park Hotel
    Double room 2 people Dinner Bed & breakfast £63 per person per night for a min 2night booking
    7 double, 3 twin 3 single all ensuite, 1 twin with private bathroom
    single room , 3 available, as above
    single occupancy of double room £82 per night.
    Bar available with selection of canned beer, lounge available. Restaurant available to non residents.

Asbourne
    Dog & Partridge
    Double room 2 people Dinner Bed & breakfast £65 per person per night for a min 2night booking
    8 doubles and 5 twins NO SINGLES mostly en suite
    single occupancy of double room £105 per person per night
    Pub with bar and lounge, bar meals and restaurant

Station Hotel
    Double room 2 people Dinner Bed & breakfast £55 per person per night for a min 2night booking
    12 rooms available Friday, 11 Saturday en suite
    No single rooms, single occupancy of double room in the region of £80 to £85, to be confirmed

I have not seen any of the above, only spoken to them on the telephone. The Portland seems very reasonable and I have no reason to question its suitability but I guess there is a difference between the lowest and higher priced hotels.

Buxton is in the centre of the Peak District and Ashbourne to the south not too far from Dovedale.

A decision needs to be made ASAP so I suggest that:-
    1) Everybody who is pretty certain to come confirms this on this thread.
    2) Everybody who intends to come states which hotel they prefer and states if there is any hotel they would not stay at if your choice is selected by the majority.

This needs to be done in the next few days and we need to think about the minimum number to make the trip worthwhile.

Tony Marlow

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sorry all, I am back from a long week end away (Glasgow :-) ), and picking up on this only now.

I am still interested, and I would follow the majority with regards to the hotel.
    As Stuart pointed out, this would be a pity if the autumn meet was not happening because interests had not been expressed in a timely manner.

Thank you Tony for the comprehensive research.

Best

Delphine

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Brook Hill View Post
    If the Autumn Meet is to happen we need to sort out the hotel now because they are starting to get booked up. From the recommendations on this thread and looking at the Visitors Guide it comes down to four possibilities which have sufficient facilities, have rooms available and are reasonable priced. Some do have a bigger supplement for singles than others and the bar varies from canned beer only to a full pub.
    The details of them are as follows:-
    Buxton
    The Portland Hotel AA 2 star
    Double room 2 people Dinner Bed & breakfast £40 per person per night for a min 2night booking
    13 double, 4 twin 5 single all ensuite.
    single room £40 as above for available single rooms (5 at the moment)
    single occupancy of double room will be a supplement
    Bar available (Boddington Smooth) and a lounge. Restaurant available to non residents. No meals available on Sunday.

Alison Park Hotel
    Double room 2 people Dinner Bed & breakfast £63 per person per night for a min 2night booking
    7 double, 3 twin 3 single all ensuite, 1 twin with private bathroom
    single room , 3 available, as above
    single occupancy of double room £82 per night.
    Bar available with selection of canned beer, lounge available. Restaurant available to non residents.

Asbourne
    Dog & Partridge
    Double room 2 people Dinner Bed & breakfast £65 per person per night for a min 2night booking
    8 doubles and 5 twins NO SINGLES mostly en suite
    single occupancy of double room £105 per person per night
    Pub with bar and lounge, bar meals and restaurant

Station Hotel
    Double room 2 people Dinner Bed & breakfast £55 per person per night for a min 2night booking
    12 rooms available Friday, 11 Saturday en suite
    No single rooms, single occupancy of double room in the region of £80 to £85, to be confirmed

I have not seen any of the above, only spoken to them on the telephone. The Portland seems very reasonable and I have no reason to question its suitability but I guess there is a difference between the lowest and higher priced hotels.

Buxton is in the centre of the Peak District and Ashbourne to the south not too far from Dovedale.

A decision needs to be made ASAP so I suggest that:-
    1) Everybody who is pretty certain to come confirms this on this thread.
    2) Everybody who intends to come states which hotel they prefer and states if there is any hotel they would not stay at if your choice is selected by the majority.

This needs to be done in the next few days and we need to think about the minimum number to make the trip worthwhile.

Tony Marlow
    A really good piece of research Tony

There is a question I have been asking myself over the past few weeks - is there enough enthusiasm for an Autumn get-together ?

Frankly, I'm not sure there is - judging by recent activity on the subject

How many APUGers do we need to make it worth while (I'd say a minimum of 5)

CAN EVERYONE PUT IN A POST IF THEY ARE SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING COMING.

Guys, I don't want to sound like a grump - but we need to be honest with ourselves and decide within the next week whether we do it or give it a miss and try to go for a Spring 2010 meeting.

Martin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm up for it

Martin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I agree with Martin's comment on the enthusiasm bit, or lack of it. That is a bit disappointing.

As I already said, I am a Yes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I said earlier that I had a clash on this one and unfortunately would probably have to give it a miss. But I do hope you get enough intereset to make it happen.

Neil.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am a yes - but will be in the campervan. Cash is very short supply for me, so I will be camping in the area (Buxton). I will confirm tonight or tomorrow as to where.

Mark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am staying at the Bull in the Thorn campsite - which is in Hurdlow. Roughly ten minutes from Buxton. I'm also looking forward to seeing you guys. Get your new prints ready for the evenings...

Mark

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just to up date it looks like this at the moment:-

In the hotel
    Martin
    Delphine
    Myself with my wife Jean
    during the day and evenings
    Mark & ?Norma

Tony

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nope - just me this time Tony, Norma is staying at home on this one.

Richard Kent will probably be in the party too...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin