Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,937   Posts: 1,585,638   Online: 770

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You must try a few pints of the St Austell Brewery "Tribute" bitter it's one of the best in the UK

Meet up with Neil and he'll give you a few suggestions of where to visit.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bring you're snowshoes and thermal underwear, we are having the worst Winter for thirty years http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/hi/news and February is usually the hardest month.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    It's Markus travelling to Cornwall Not me

Hope to be there in April though.

Ian

Ian, see you in April then

Neil.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by marksman View Post
    . Than two days at Woolacombe ( I´m only interrested in seascapes ) more two day at Constantine Bay. St. Yves, The Lizzard, Wistman´s Wood (Dartmoor), Stonehenge would also be very nice to see.
    And of course the Pubs.
    Whilst at Woolacombe make sure you visit Barricane Beach (at low tide) which is between Woolacombe and Mortehoe. This beach is renowned for its stripey rocks. Surprised you do not have the Valley of Rocks area on your list which has the best seascapes in North Devon. The Valley of Rocks is just up the road a bit from Woolacombe to the west of Lynton.

I don't think you will find many seascapes at Wistmans Wood Nice place to go though for gnarled trees and rocks etc.

When at St Ives make sure you spare some time to visit the TATE Gallery. There is always something interesting going on there.

Ideally you would need a good few days for the Lizard but one place not to miss is Kynance Cove at low tide.

When in Cornwall food won't be a problem - just eat the pasties

Another thing to remember is once you are in West Cornwall your traveling distances / times between locations will come down dramatically as the land mass narrows and the place is surrounded on three sides by sea.

Neil.
    Last edited by Neil Souch; 01-08-2010 at 04:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Kynance Cove at low tide
    seconded!

If you want suggestions for a couple of decent walks/seascape opportunities near The Lizard I can offer:

Park in the car park at Lizard village and take the track almost due west down to the coast, then walk south around the coast path past lizard point the lighthouse, the lifeboat station and around as far as Church cove then walk back up to the village.

Park in Porthleven and catch the bus to Praa Sands then walk back along the coast path past old mine engine houses on the cliffs. Decent view of Porthleven as you descend back to the town and a decent pub at the end of the harbour where the path comes down. Make sure you time it right so its open when you get there!

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Trewavas Head is worth a look on the Lizard, with its derelict mine engine houses clinging to the steep cliffs.
    Have a look at: http://www.cornwallinfocus.co.uk/history/prosper.php

Also Gunwalloe Cove is pretty special with a church amongst the sand dunes.

Steve

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Souch View Post
    Kynance Cove at low tide.
    Anyone going to Kynance Cove needs to watch out for the tides sneaking up behind them.

Its easy to get distracted by the beauty of the place and the endless photographic opportunities - only to find they are cut off by the tide coming in at unexpectedly behind them.

The exits from the beach become submerged before most of the beach.

Its happened to me and its happened to others I know too.

I'm not saying don't go (its a beautiful place) but do keep an eye both on the tide and your watch.

Martin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If the sea is rough Porthleven is a great place to be - even if its just to watch the power of the sea

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    Anyone going to Kynance Cove needs to watch out for the tides sneaking up behind them.

Its easy to get distracted by the beauty of the place and the endless photographic opportunities - only to find they are cut off by the tide coming in at unexpectedly behind them.

The exits from the beach become submerged before most of the beach.

Its happened to me and its happened to others I know too.

I'm not saying don't go (its a beautiful place) but do keep an eye both on the tide and your watch.

Martin

With Kynance Cove it is best to get there as the tide is going out and as soon as you can get on the beach / sand start shooting. As the tide goes out follow it out to get access to the various other areas / coves that will open up. But bear in mind the tide will turn and have this time fixed in your mind but don't just rely on your watch - look at the sea all the time and keep the distance to your exit route in your mind. As soon (or preferably before) you notice the tide has turned start working your way back to an area that is safe. I would also not recommend you venture too far on your own and only shoot where you can see other people in case you should slip and be left injured and on your own with an incoming tide.

The above advice also holds good for any Cornish beach. Tide tables can be obtained at most news agents.

Neil.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks guys for all the helpfull informations. And yes Kynance Cove seems to be a special place, I will take care there. I created a small map, but for sure there are much more interresting locations. Especially the cliffs, but my intention is to come very close to the water.
    Markus

http://maps.google.de/maps/ms?hl=de&...f1862a&t=h&z=8

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin