Switch to English Language Passer en langue franaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,725   Online: 744

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Cornwall & Devon

Hi,
    I already booked a flight to London in order to spend 10 days along the coastline from Cornwall and Devon. Is there a touristic infrastrutur in February and maybe you have some informations about cheap accommodations there.
    Thanks a lot
    Markus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's plenty of reasonable priced Bed & Breakfast's and very good Tourist Information offices who can help you, just do a Google search. It's a quiet time of year so it should be easy finding places to stay.

I've been in December and had no problems at all, moving around the coast, so good luck with the weather

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Ian,
    good to hear that its not important to book in advance. I find also here very helpful infos about the hotspots, so I think ten days are not enough but this is always the same. Im prepared for the weather (winter) conditions. If anybody want to join me between 9-16 Feb. feel free to contact me.
    Markus

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by marksman View Post
    Hi,
    I already booked a flight to London in order to spend 10 days along the coastline from Cornwall and Devon. Is there a touristic infrastrutur in February and maybe you have some informations about cheap accommodations there.
    Thanks a lot
    Markus
    Hi Markus,

If you want cheaper accommodation, look out for houses advertising "Bed and Breakfast" or "B & B" in windows or on signboards rather than hotels. There should be plenty in the seaside towns and villages. Unless you've picked school half-term week they should have plenty of spare space and will be glad of the custom. For a small charge, most will fix you up with a pack of sandwiches for the day!

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bearing in mind the days are still quite short in Feb, I think I would be planning to choose say three locations over 10 days and use them as a base to check out the local area, that way you can maximise the day and minimise the travelling in between. You don't say how you are travelling, but even if you have a car Devon & Cornwall is a bit ambitious for the time you have (understatement). many of the best areas are served by very narrow roads on which you can't travel too fast.

Assuming you want to walk/bus out each day my three places as bases would be St Ives, Looe and Porthleven. Only because I know them best, not necessarily because they are the best places. - These are all Cornwall - not spent much time in Devon.

You definitely shouldn't have too much trouble finding somewhere to stay. Besides B&B, lots of pubs have rooms - you sometimes take your chance with pub rooms, but I have rarely had a really bad experience, and most have been good-excellent. As its not high season, you should get better attention than when the hordes descend in summer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    You don't say how you are travelling, but even if you have a car Devon & Cornwall is a bit ambitious for the time you have (understatement). many of the best areas are served by very narrow roads on which you can't travel too fast.
    I agree. If yopu try to do to much, you will spend most of your time just travelling.

My experiences are with Devon rather than Cornwall but the roads are generally similar in width (or lack of it!).

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by marksman View Post
    Thanks Ian,
    good to hear that its not important to book in advance. I find also here very helpful infos about the hotspots, so I think ten days are not enough but this is always the same. Im prepared for the weather (winter) conditions. If anybody want to join me between 9-16 Feb. feel free to contact me.
    Markus
    Ian,

If you make it as far as West Cornwall I would be happy to have a meet up with you. Accommodation will be no problem at all at that time of the year.

Neil.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Souch View Post
    Ian,
    If you make it as far as West Cornwall I would be happy to have a meet up with you. Accommodation will be no problem at all at that time of the year.
    Neil.
    It's Markus travelling to Cornwall Not me

Hope to be there in April though.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi,
    Im coming from Munich so I know short days, but today in the morning I though hey whats going on with all the webcams in Cornwall. There is nothing to see, is the whole area covered with snow or what. Thanks for the hint, it was to dark. :rolleyes:
    I already rented a car ( Ford Ka ) for the narrow winding roads, but my first station will be Klive which I hope to reach at the arrival day. Than two days at Woolacombe ( Im only interrested in seascapes ) more two day at Constantine Bay. St. Yves, The Lizzard, Wistmans Wood (Dartmoor), Stonehenge would also be very nice to see.
    And of course the Pubs.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There are some wonderful ammonites to be found on the beach at Kilve - Anything from 6mm to a metre or more across.

Avebury is quite a nice place to stop - The largest neolithic stone circle with a village in the middle (with two pubs).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive     Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin