Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,755   Online: 1004

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have been taking the UK "Black & White Photography" magazine for some while now and it shows what I would call a nodding acceptance to film and darkroom work. The latest edition has a reference to 'digital cyanotypes' which has put me off as the word cyanotype typifies the process and should, in my mind describe them as 'blue prints'. We shall be having digital platinum prints next I should imagine !
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Scott, if you subscribe to B&W Photography, it is way cheaper than off the shelf at the newsagent, even with the exchange rate taken into account.
    Great mag that I enjoy reading cover to cover, even look at the d***** stuff as well.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you all for such great quick responses. My worst fears of no truly film photography magazine is on the market. I used to get Digital Photographer but after a year it just started to repeat it's self. The digital world is all fine but digital photography dont cover all aspect's, just like analog covering every aspect also. Maybe someone with the ability to bring us a film photography magazine will see this thread & make it happen ? I am lucky being the Melbourne Camera club Librarian I have some wonderful very old photography books to read. But some of the Analog folks would have liked a new Analog photography magazine to read as they have read all the other material.

Ho hum Scotty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by monodave View Post
    B+W Photography magazine is thriving in the UK. It is a good balance of both film/darkroom and digital. It is published by GMC Publications. There is also a Black and White Photography magazine in the USA. They are completely independent of one another.
    I also agree with you about Black+White mag. Not sure which magazine the others are talking about, because out of the recent issues of B+W I have seen it appears to be half and half. Yes, the equipment reviews that they tend to do tends to be digital (I wonder if that has anything to do with the lack of new Film equipment).

& why do I read it? Pure and simple, I like looking at pictures (surely this is why we do photography?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by w9cae View Post
    Thank you all for such great quick responses. My worst fears of no truly film photography magazine is on the market. I used to get Digital Photographer but after a year it just started to repeat it's self. The digital world is all fine but digital photography dont cover all aspect's, just like analog covering every aspect also. Maybe someone with the ability to bring us a film photography magazine will see this thread & make it happen ? I am lucky being the Melbourne Camera club Librarian I have some wonderful very old photography books to read. But some of the Analog folks would have liked a new Analog photography magazine to read as they have read all the other material.

Ho hum Scotty
    Just taking this slightly off topic, I was looking at the Melbourne Camera Club Website last night and was keen to see that you still have a thriving darkroom group, well that was the impression I got from the website. Is this so?

Also keen to note that the Darkroom hire is $5 for 12 hours.... (unless I miss read it!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too would love to see more film based photography magazines on the market, but to be fair, magazines are in the business to make money. And (unfortunately) the money is being made in digital photography magazines.

True we have almost 41,000 members here on APUG, but in the grand scheme of making money - that isn't anywhere near enough subscribers for a magazine to truly make a profit. (If each of us took out a subscription which is highly unlikely.)

I remember a member putting together a solely film-based magazine a year or so back, but haven't seen or heard anything about it for quite a while. (The name escapes me on both the member and magazine title fronts.)

I can live with B&W Photography having digital articles; to be honest burying my head in the sand *won't* make digital disappear and some of the articles are quite interesting. If it's a case of having digital & film in the one mag in fair proportions, I'm happy to buy. But if most of the articles are purely digital based - forget it, whilst I use digital in my commercial work I really don't want to be surrounded by it in my off time if I can help it.

Ag is another mag that has caught my eye, but it's price is just too prohibitive to warrant purchasing (same goes for Silverprint). At $20+ an issue I can buy a book at that price with considerably more information; true it won't have interviews or showcase photographers, but my $$ are spent on where I see value - $20 for an interview? Sorry just not my cup of coffee. . . . . . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nanette, are you talking B+W or B&W? Just want to clarify, that's all!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Hoffy,

B&W (UK mag) - I no longer subscribe to B+W (US). Sorry for the confusion. :O

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    OK, I thought it was the other way around! I am looking at an English Black+White magazine (editor, Elizabeth Roberts, published by GMC Publictions)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hoffy you're correct it IS B+W for the UK edition - GMC Publications.
    My error; apologies to all for the confusion.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin