Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,402   Online: 809

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Tis OK! I just wanted to know if I was missing something!

Anyhow, back to your post up a few spots. I agree, it would be good to have a photographic only magazine, but I also agree about the issues with circulation. The other problem is that inevitably, a Film mag will probably turn into a Lomo mag...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I used to buy B&W, gave up, to electronic. View camera magazine is still mainly film. Large format too. Some good articles though. Borders have it normally.
    Pat
    What grain............................................. ...............
    Oh sorry, I forgot you don't shoot Large Format
    Large format Pat.

http://www.largeformatpat.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pat I like View Camera also, but the price was too steep for what I got out of it.

For now, I can live with the B+W content, but should it shift too far digital, it will get the flick; I get all that info from another Pro mag I subscribe to.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ozphoto View Post
    True we have almost 41,000 members here on APUG, but in the grand scheme of making money - that isn't anywhere near enough subscribers for a magazine to truly make a profit.
    This has been on my mind for a while. The idea of a technical magazine is redundant as the forums here show. But an artistic magazine dedicated to film...

An APUG magazine, one per year, showing the very best of film photography, priced at cost (or a little extra for APUG funds), utilizing on-demand magazine printing such as magcloud:

http://magcloud.com/

Could it happen?
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    This has been on my mind for a while. The idea of a technical magazine is redundant as the forums here show. But an artistic magazine dedicated to film...

An APUG magazine, one per year, showing the very best of film photography, priced at cost (or a little extra for APUG funds), utilizing on-demand magazine printing such as magcloud:

http://magcloud.com/

Could it happen?
    Its not impossible, but it all depends on how you want it done and how much it could cost.

By far, the easiest option is to produce a blurb book. I run a forum that is dedicated to motorsports photography (www.catchfencephotos.com) and each year one of our members produces an annual book. The concept is simple, you supply him with suitable images digitally (OK, I'm sure I have lost you here already) and he edits them together (you need to use their propitiatory software), adds a few graphics and uploads them to blurb. (I am actually not giving the guy who does it enough credit. It takes quite a bit of time just to do that!). For those who want to buy, you buy straight from Blurb, so there is no minimum order. If people are interested, here is this years book:

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detai...ontent=280x160

That being said, I am not 100% sure that something like that would really fit the look you could expect for artistic photos. Certainly not any worse then most magazines, but then again, its really only a glorified photo book.

That being said, that "Magcloud" does look interesting

Shooter
    35mm
    I've made a few Blurb books and they can be nice. Magcloud is working on the same idea in that people buy it directly from the site, the difference is that propitiatory software is replaced with standard desktop publishing software.

My thoughts here have been about trying to overcome the problems with producing a 'proper' published magazine, there just isn't a big enough market. On-demand gets round this. Obviously the quality is lower than a well printed magazine (not to mention a quality photo book), but what's the other option: a computer screen?
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Tis OK! I just wanted to know if I was missing something!

Anyhow, back to your post up a few spots. I agree, it would be good to have a photographic only magazine, but I also agree about the issues with circulation. The other problem is that inevitably, a Film mag will probably turn into a Lomo mag...
    I doubt if Lomo users read photographic magazines, if indeed at all.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have a look at all the photo mags that are in print, and you'll see that they are usually printed on high quality paper, in full colour.

I regularly purchased the Photo Trader when I lived in AU - dedicated to everything photographic, but it was on cheap stock and cost about $3.50/issue (5 issues a year I think from memory).

If you want to get into producing a "photography" magazine that showcases photography, you'd need to have good quality printing (along with items of interest) or people just won't buy it. And of course quality costs.

The mag I mentioned previously was printed every quarter I think, but looks like it has disappeared - obviously costs, items of interest etc outweighed the number of people willing to support it.

I'm all for purchasing a good magazine, but it needs to hold my interest to keep me coming back. No matter how well printed it is, if it doesn't have interesting content, people just aren't going to purchase the next issue or worse, subscribe and that will ultimately mean its demise.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Just taking this slightly off topic, I was looking at the Melbourne Camera Club Website last night and was keen to see that you still have a thriving darkroom group, well that was the impression I got from the website. Is this so?

Also keen to note that the Darkroom hire is $5 for 12 hours.... (unless I miss read it!)
    Personally I have never hired the darkroom so I guess the web site is correct ? I do participate in the Traditional Darkroom Printmakers Group & have used our fantastic darkroom. For group work. We have a strong core of traditional photographers & digital. But our comp nights have far more digital representation. Which makes our judges make mistakes when they stumble upon a traditional print. Personally my work is still not up to what I feel is quality work with a film camera & printing. I don't bother entering my digital work as it makes me feel like I have cheated.

Anyone in Melbourne is always welcome to come & visit the MCC. Last week we had a couple of lads from Switzerland who have traveled all over the globe with there film cameras. They were printing up some of there pic's of Oz land in the MCC darkroom.

Back to topic price of a good traditional photography magazine is not important. When I finish having a read I pass my copies around to other club members. So there value gets well used. I prefer UK publications, somewhere in the late 80's the USA mags lost there penmanship. When I was buying UK Digital Photography it was actually cheaper to get at the newsagents. Except my copy was like 2 or 3 months out of date.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ozphoto View Post
    I'm all for purchasing a good magazine, but it needs to hold my interest to keep me coming back. No matter how well printed it is, if it doesn't have interesting content, people just aren't going to purchase the next issue or worse, subscribe and that will ultimately mean its demise.
    I think the benefit of an APUG magazine would be that it is genuinely collaborative. Presumably we could all have a stake in it as we've all had the chance to have input in various ways. As I see it, if a magazine slowly took form through public discussions here, this would generate interest. If it didn't work, then so be it, as it would be on-demand, no financial penalties would be incurred. In fact, the idea of on-demand rather sweeps away the obsession with print runs, we do it for ourselves, we have the freedom to offer in put and the freedom to buy it or not.
    Steve.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin