Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,569   Posts: 1,545,465   Online: 1189

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    35mm
    Just remember APUG has a range of followers. So often threads here talk right over me & I need the dummies guide to the dummies guide to translate. That is why I have really been enjoying old 1940's photography books. They talk in simple terms guess people were simpler back then ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The other option is to supply it in PDF form - then there's no need for anyone to outlay printing costs unless they absolutely want to.

All it would take is time and effort - but from past experiences, time is the easy part - it's the participation and commitment from others that can put a spanner in the works.

Unlike a magazine such as B+W (where you are paid to contribute or on staff) a totally volunteer basis magazine often gets stuck due to the lack of volunteering for articles, etc. Time gets away from us, other things in our lives take priority and the once fantastic vision suddenly fades.

I think that is what happened to the magazine put together by one of the other APUG members, but I could be wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, the mag I was referring to IS alive and well:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum56/7...lable-now.html

Kudos to Christopher for keeping his dream alive!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ozphoto View Post
    All it would take is time and effort - but from past experiences, time is the easy part - it's the participation and commitment from others that can put a spanner in the works.
    This is indeed the crux. That's why I thought of an art magazine focusing upon images, not technical guides. Many people upload images to APUG galleries, there's also the portfolio section and a thriving postcard exchange. Seems to me that people want to get their photos seen.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Actually, the mag I was referring to IS alive and well:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum56/7...lable-now.html

Kudos to Christopher for keeping his dream alive!!
    Cheers nice magazine & it is on the trail you are all talking about for an APUG mag. The more experienced MCC folks will enjoy this when I inform them.

For myself looks like UK B&W will have to fill the spot.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Yes, the equipment reviews that they tend to do tends to be digital (I wonder if that has anything to do with the lack of new Film equipment).
    That is one of the things that really disappoints me with the mag, they will happily do a bland 'test" of a new digi cam two months after everyone else has pixel-peeped it to destruction, telling us nothing new but not a peep about new gear that can be used either digitally or analogue e.g. new Nokton 50mm F1.1 for M mount, new Voigtlander SL 90mm for F, K and EF mount (not mentioning the 58mm, 40mm and 20mm all new in the last few years), exotica such as the Linhof Techno 5x4 that can do digi and analogue.

Ok they are not "mass-market" products but others do the mass-market faster, in more depth and perhaps better. A viable reputation can be built on being the "go-to" place for info on less well known but good products.

Anyone remember their article about Trevor Crones' ABS 10"x8" field camera?

Sim2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too would love to see more film based photography magazines on the market, but to be fair, magazines are in the business to make money. And (unfortunately) the money is being made in digital photography magazines.
    How come everything these days automatically has to be about making money? It is true that most mags are in the business to make money, but some are run by people who just have a great passion for a subject. (I don't imagine Chris W is making a fortune out of starting up CIM.) We all need money but, although it is no longer fashionable, sometimes it is possible to care for free!

I would have said that the best magazines, the ones most worthy of our support, are out there primarily to be informative, interesting and inspiring.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The small "passionate" market is just that - small. I have subscribed to a few of these mags over the years, but with rising costs of subscriptions and the content not capturing my imagination, I've let them slide.

That's not to say they aren't great magazines, but for me, the cost vs content of interest just wasn't there.

Maybe I'm one of the minority, but I like a good variety of articles in my mags (regardless of the subject) and when I find that them starting to wander away from my particular interests, I let them fall by the wayside. (I have always let the subscription finish - never cancelled mid way.)

Mainstream mags have the edge in that they have the staff on hand to cover a multitude of topics - the more "niche" magazines don't and I have found that the content can sometimes be too narrow in subject matter or just not of interest to me at all.

I subscribed to Silverprint for 3 years, but cancelled when the cost went to $20 an issue and the content just began to showcase photographer's work with very little else to fill it.

As I said earlier, I like a good mix in my magazines - regardless of whether you are a "niche" or mainstream photo mag, if you cover these areas well for my tastes, I'll be more than happy to support you.

But for now, I haven't yet found a "Passionate Photo Magazine" that fills my requirements. At this stage, it's the mags in the business of making money that are getting my $$ - good or bad, the "Big Business" model is winning - hopefully I will see a "Niche" mag take over my subscription $$ soon.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin