Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,290   Posts: 1,535,396   Online: 766
      
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38
  1. #1
    w9cae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    253

    UK Film photography magazines

    I was wondering if the UK has any just film based photography magazines. Most of what I find in the Australian newsagents is geared towards the digital market. I was thinking about checking out a mag called Black & White but someone mentioned they have a new editor & its now mostly about digital.

    Cheers Scott

  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    65
    w9cae

    There is or was a magazine called Black and White Photography that was film base. I have a few copies from 2008. I looked at a copy in Barnes and Nobles last year they were still film base. Price is high $11.99 a copy. Had some great articles. I hope it's not gone the digital route.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Jersey Channel Islands
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    430
    Blog Entries
    2
    As far as I can tell all british mags, including black and white photography, are firmly based in digital, with barely a passing nod to film these days, which is why I don't bother buying them,just a browse in the newsagents is enough for me these days,Richard

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Peak District, England
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    55
    B+W Photography magazine is thriving in the UK. It is a good balance of both film/darkroom and digital. It is published by GMC Publications. There is also a Black and White Photography magazine in the USA. They are completely independent of one another.

  5. #5
    Vincent Brady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Co. Kildare - Ireland
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,998
    Images
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by R gould View Post
    As far as I can tell all british mags, including black and white photography, are firmly based in digital, with barely a passing nod to film these days, which is why I don't bother buying them,just a browse in the newsagents is enough for me these days,Richard
    I would agree with Richard on this. The Black & White magazine started out as mainly film based is now almost entirely digital orientated, I expect that's market they have to aim for in order to survive. The printing of the photo's within all seem to be variations of sepia tone, it is as if they are unable to print in straight black and white anymore. Save your money and buy photo books instead.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Wiltshire, UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by TEX View Post
    The printing of the photo's within all seem to be variations of sepia tone, it is as if they are unable to print in straight black and white anymore.
    Lol! I have seen this trend too, glad it is not just my eyes going all squey-whiff!

    I do still purchase the magazine B + W Photography - it is mainly geared towards digital. To an extent I can understand why - larger potential readership base, easier magazine layout production, potentially quicker lead times on articles, cheaper input costs etc but it is a shame it has "gone with the herd". Used to be very film/print based but no longer the case. Fi;m/print is very much the rarity nowadays. Digi product reviews seem to be fairly "soft", in that everything seems to be "great" and "ideal for use" with little critique and not as thorough as widely available reviews.

    The sepia toned look of all the pics is really annoying, either it's a bit of an affectation which I don't get or they need to sort out their ICC profiles!

    However, I like the USA gallery review (not because I can visit but the featured exhibitions seem to be very creative and inspiring) and oddly enough the random article/promotions from Silverprint - last one was about printing with Autochrome from 1913 - now that is intruiging!!!

    Sim2.

  7. #7
    Athiril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Vic, Australia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,499
    Images
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by w9cae View Post
    I was wondering if the UK has any just film based photography magazines. Most of what I find in the Australian newsagents is geared towards the digital market. I was thinking about checking out a mag called Black & White but someone mentioned they have a new editor & its now mostly about digital.

    Cheers Scott

    Sorry, we both live in heathen country

  8. #8
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,653
    Quote Originally Posted by TEX View Post
    I would agree with Richard on this. The Black & White magazine started out as mainly film based is now almost entirely digital orientated, I expect that's market they have to aim for in order to survive. The printing of the photo's within all seem to be variations of sepia tone, it is as if they are unable to print in straight black and white anymore. Save your money and buy photo books instead.
    I used to get it, now I get Ag which actually publishes a wide range of work in both b+w and colour-oh and it actually credits its readers with a bit of intelligence. As far as learning about technique goes, get a few decent books, such as The Craft of Photography [David Vestal] and The Darkroom Cookbook.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

  9. #9
    benjiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,763
    I stopped buying photographic magazines, because I don't do digital they are of little interest, to me I buy books instead, they have much more hard information in them, and the magazines are so expensive they are better value.
    Ben

  10. #10
    paulie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    266
    could never understand the need for photo mags, sound boring even if they were about photography and not digital devices.

    photography is doing not reading lol

    those who cant do ,teach

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin