Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,222   Online: 909

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Camera building/Restoration/Modification

Many of us here either build, restore or modify cameras, so it would be useful to share resources and skills.

For instance I can make new bellows, focus screens, renovate Thornton Pickard or Speed Graphic & similar shutters but I'm hamfisted at wood-work or brass work.

OK I'm currently usually only in the UK twice a year for a few weeks but I take restorations back to Turkey to work on and can post items back when needed.

The reason for making this post is a current restoration of a Quarter Plate camera given to me by a former partner in the early 90's. I had a local joiners make the missing front standard and the time needed to find someone, explain what I wanted, was quite high, and there are APUG members who could do this easily.

Now I need brass fittings, I can get them made but wouldn't trading my skills be a better way ?

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good idea Ian. Unfortunately I do not have any such skills but I have a couple of Speed Graphic lenses that need a bit of attention in the shutter department if you are interested in a paid for job sometime ? PM me with details etc if this appeals.

All the best,

Neil.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well.... I have a reasonably well equipped workshop with lathes, mills, and hammers.
    Made a little two way level last night out of a piece of perspex and a 99p spirit level, and have made a couple of lens boards in aluminium for the 5x4.

I can certainly trade metalworking skills for bits I need...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Well.... I have a reasonably well equipped workshop with lathes, mills, and hammers.
    Hammers? You have all the latest innovations in manufacturing technology!

I have a CND drill/router and a laser cutter (both at work) I could make small items in wood or plastics.

I have tried and failed at cutting aluminium on the CNC router. It is one designed for printed circuit board manufacture rather than metalwork and as such, its spindles rotate too fast for aluminium. I am going to try it with brass though as I think it may work.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I've got as far as I can with my current project which is why I started this thread, but I can't do Brass-work.

Screens no problem , I've made 12 new ones and re-ground another 4 or 5 over the past 2 days and also made 2 sets of bellows.

But I'm stuck with two fittings similar to the brace for the fronts standard and the brass plate & knob that control the rise/fall. On my camera the plate is fixed to the standard and the slot matches with a hole on the lens board (other way around to the image here).

Any help would be appreciated. This is the camera - virtually fully restored. More in this thread.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I have a CNC drill/router and a laser cutter (both at work) I could make small items in wood or plastics.
    I didn't want to use the d*t*l word here, but some of my machinery are hooked up to computers - CNC milling of plastics, aluminium, and brass parts is not a problem as long as they are fairly small and I can read the drawings.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin