Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,452   Online: 912

Thread: Bude, Cornwall.

Shooter
    35mm

Bude, Cornwall.

Is anyone familiar with Bude in Cornwall?

My wife has a colleague who lets out a cottage there and we're going down for a few days just after the August bank holiday. I'm expecting rain as it's so close to the bank holiday and, well, it's England. But you never know and the sun may shine.

What's the place like for photos? I'm particularly interested in cliffs, rocks, seascapes, rugged stuff, sunrises, sunsets etc. I don't want to do a lot of driving when I'm there, but I will travel to somewhere really impressive. Any ideas? I had a quick look on flickr but my stomach couldn't stand all the HDR 'experiments'.

Also, I'd love suggestions for a really good fish & chip shop!
    Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Gosh, lucky you! It (and the area) is one of the loveliest places in the world. Perfection!
    Marek Warunkiewicz

JDP

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well there are plenty of cliffs & seascapes nearby. I recently visited Tintagel to the south of Bude and would say it is worth a look (if you go park by the church to the south of the village and save a parking fee!). Great rocky coastline there, but I doubt you could go wrong anywhere around Bude. The Sun will set over the sea there. Inland you will not be far from Exmoor, but that place never really appealed to me. Have fun, and remember bad weather can be great for Landscapes!

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Bude has all the things you ask for. I'd particularly recommend walking the cliff path from Tintagel Head to Trebarwith Strand. The cliffs are spectacular anyway, but slate quarrying has made them even more so. At one point there is a tall rock pinnacle that the quarrymen left standing as it was of poor quality and it remains like a Cornish version of the Old Man of Hoy. It's also worth a look at Delabole Slate Quarry, which is an impressive hole by any standards. I haven't been there for a few years, but it used to be possible to view it from quite a few public places without upsetting anyone, though tours do take place. Look out for the local traditional slate walling, with layers of stones alternately lying different ways - known as 'curzeyway' walls. they can be quite photogenic. Just inland from Trebarwith is Prince of Wales Quarry, where there is a restored engine house.
    http://www.tintagelweb.co.uk/PrinceO...ngineHouse.htm
    http://www.delaboleslate.co.uk/
    http://www.cornwall-calling.co.uk/mi...e/tintagel.htm
    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/563105
    Sorry to go overboard with quarrying and industrial archaeology, but it's my thing!
    Enjoy your trip,
    Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the suggestions, Steve and JDP. Nice to know the sun will set on the sea and the Tintagel to Trebarwith walk sounds good. Now I need to do some research on fish & chip shops. When I'm going North I always go here and in Dorset I like this place. Hopefully there's somewhere nice nearby.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Is anyone familiar with Bude in Cornwall?

My wife has a colleague who lets out a cottage there and we're going down for a few days just after the August bank holiday. I'm expecting rain as it's so close to the bank holiday and, well, it's England. But you never know and the sun may shine.

What's the place like for photos? I'm particularly interested in cliffs, rocks, seascapes, rugged stuff, sunrises, sunsets etc. I don't want to do a lot of driving when I'm there, but I will travel to somewhere really impressive. Any ideas? I had a quick look on flickr but my stomach couldn't stand all the HDR 'experiments'.

Also, I'd love suggestions for a really good fish & chip shop!
    You will be spoilt for choice, plenty of chip shops and Cornish Pasties to try, along with the local brews.

There's lots to photograph if you want to travel around. Land's End, St. Michael's Mount, Cape Cornwall, Porth Nanven (Cott-Valley), Godrevy and Gwithian etc spring to mind. I'm sure Bude has plenty to offer as well.

You might want to send fellow apug members Neil Souch and Bill Spears a PM for suggestions, both live in Cornwall.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, Keith. I'll be on the look out for some local brews too. I think it promotes good well-being to drink local beers!

Cornwall means family holidays to me - we went there for every holiday from around '78 to '88 and always Newquay with trips on rainy days to St Ives, Penzance, etc. I don't think I've visited in over ten years now.
    Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have had many happy holidays in Cornwall.

Photographically the greatest challenge, IMO, is where to point the camera first - the possibilities are seemingly endless.

However, I have unfortunately found that Devon and Cornwall are almost an entirely film free zone - so take plenty of film stock plus a healthy reserve (I find it amazing how fast I can get through it with the right light and subject material)

The Dartmoor Tors are worthy of an investigation if the light is interesting (sunshine & showers for me)

While I am not by nature a morning person, I do find the first few hours of daylight to be photographically the most rewarding, as I usually don't like people in my shots and the hoards don't start to appear until around 10:00

Have fun

Martin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin