Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,907   Posts: 1,584,610   Online: 953

Shooter
    35mm

"Today I'm With You" - BBC4 photography doc'

Only four days left on iPlayer with this. Some nice old footage from Newcastle in the '60s, film and stills as well as more up-to-date footage showing Sirkka-Liisa Konttinen using film in a Pentax 67 rather than the Nikon she used in the '60s . Worth a look if you've got a spare hour:

During the late 1960s Finnish photographer and filmmaker Sirkka-Liisa Konttinen came to Byker, a working class community in Newcastle upon Tyne. She fell in love with her new home just as it was about to be demolished. Her seminal documentation of the community led to national recognition for her work as a key account of Britain's traditional working class culture at the moment of its destruction.

In 2005, Sirkka returned. The visionary Byker Wall Estate that replaced the original terraced streets was to have rehoused the community intact, but inevitably didn't.

This new film follows her as she negotiates a photographic journey through its now multicultural communities - building a portrait of the estate out of her comically chaotic portrait sessions and the arresting photographs, stories and negotiations that flow from them. Through rare film footage we glimpse her as a young woman photographing the old community.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tr1gh
    Last edited by perkeleellinen; 09-14-2010 at 02:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you this was a great watch!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just watched the first ten minutes , will come back to it later - thanks for the heads up
    Digital photography is like virtual sex........ you never actually touch the real thing..... or get your hands dirty

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unfortunately, those BBC IPlayer programmes are limited to UK public only... as you correctly posted in the APUG regional groups. Wish the BBC loosened up their policies, at least for their own productions.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    35mm
    Marco, I'm unsure if this is a solution or not, but the program is being broadcast on BBC4 next Monday at 00:10. Perhaps you can pick up the signal on satellite TV?
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Marco, I'm unsure if this is a solution or not, but the program is being broadcast on BBC4 next Monday at 00:10. Perhaps you can pick up the signal on satellite TV?
    Sorry, I don't have satellite yet, my mobile phone is also still of the stone ages without digi-cam... Thanks for the suggestion anyway, we do have BBC1&2 here on the normal cable television package, but unfortunately not 4...

Anyway, might turn up on Dutch television some time. There is quite a lot of the BBC stuff broadcasted here on Dutch television.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    35mm
    If you're very keen to see this, I can record it next Monday and send you a DVD.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Call me a computer duffer but the link seems to say that I can't download this to watch and will have to watch it when next on BBC4. Any help gratefully received. Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Call me a computer duffer but the link seems to say that I can't download this to watch and will have to watch it when next on BBC4. Any help gratefully received. Thanks

pentaxuser
    You're right, it's gone! The link was there this morning and you should have been able to see the iPlayer video screen. Odd, it clearly said there was 4 days left until it expired.
    Steve.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin