Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,004   Online: 875

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 26789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller
    I’ve scoured the internet and come up with four possible venues for the softies among us requiring B & B. Actually I only found three, Ailsa suggested one of them, put I will leave the rest of you to guess which.
    I would like those of you that intend coming along to look at each establishment’s web site and list three in order of preference – on the scale of 1 being the most desirable and 3 the least so, or say if you are happy to go along with the majority. I will then make contact and check prices and availability, and then let you know which one I recommend that we to go for. Apart from reasonable prices and facilities, we do need somewhere for the campers to join up for an evening meal and chit-chat on the Saturday.

The candidates are:
    Royal Oak Hotel www.royaloakhotel.co.uk
    The Edwardene Hotel www.edwardenehotel.com
    Horse and Farrier Inn www.horseandfarrier.com
    Crow Park Hotel www.crowpark.co.uk

So there you are, get surfing.

As an additional point, since the idea of the weekend is to meet and do things as a group, it seems that we should identify photographic subjects in advance and decide a short list, both for the Saturday afternoon, and Sunday morning. This will go someway towards avoiding wasting time discussing the subject on what promises to be a busy weekend, although a certain amount of flexibility will be needed to cater for the weather.
    We seem to homing in on the Crow Park Hotel or the Horse & Farrier Inn. Anymore input before a decision to book is made?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean
    One thought for those planning to stay in a hotel or B&B is that breakfast is usually at the time the light may be at it's best and as we are in the Lake District it would be silly not to take advantage of photographic possibilities.
    Those of us camping can have breakfast on the hoof if necessary.
    Les, please be assured, the only decent light at breakfast time is that over the breakfast table.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Les, please be assured, the only decent light at breakfast time is that over the breakfast table.
    Whilst I am down for B&B, I anticipate using only the first B (unless they do packed breakfasts!).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Provided that breakfast is at 10.30pm?

Seriously Dave, for those interested in being there how about an early photo session at Castlerigg Stone Circle followed by a short drive down Borrowdale and a walk down Langstrath were there are a few worthwhile photo situations. The reason for Langstrath is that it is not a strenous walk, the place being relatively flat, for the Lakes that is. I would aslo suggest that at some point we take the uninitiated to those trees at Buttermere, for the light is perfect at just about anytime of the day in February provided the sun is shining, to get the tree beautifully lit. There are also a few other places around Borrowdale that offer good photography.

What sort of light do you have over your breakfast table?
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've marked the dates in my diary, and will try to arrange to be back in the UK then. I haven't been to the Lakes since 2000 or so. Our raggety mob always used to camp at Hollows Farm in Grange when we wanted to camp in Borrowdale. It's a nice campsite, a lot less formal but with rather basic facilities compared to the Castlerigg Hall one, and further from Keswick.

I used to drink at the Royal Oak in Keswick now and then. Nice pub. If you'll pardon me to be immodest, my favourite memory of the Royal Oak was from once when I was chatting to Chris Bonington at the bar - we had a few mutual climbing partners, though I never had the pleasure of climbing with CJSB himself. Over on the other side of the room, one of my friends overheard a complete stranger say 'Who's that talking to Helen Bach?' I'm sure that if CJSB had used more hairspray, he could have been as famous as I was.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean
    Provided that breakfast is at 10.30pm?

What sort of light do you have over your breakfast table?
    Moonlight generally, at least during the working week.

Joking aside, your suggestions seem in order. What about Ashness bridge and Watenlath, have I spelt those correctly?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    do any of those planning to camp have a preference for campsite? It would be good to make sure we are all in the same site.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon
    do any of those planning to camp have a preference for campsite? It would be good to make sure we are all in the same site.
    Helen's suggestion of Hollows Farm at Grange seems a good idea, there website suggests 'Advanced bookings for groups' so it might be worth contacting them if enough are interested. The website does not give any idea of camping facilities, what's there Helen?

I also notice that B&B is available at Hollows.

I shall probably camp, but I am open to any other options.

Regards

Barry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    oop's

There is info available rearding facilities at Hollows, It's on the 'Main Field' page, I waslooking at the 'Group Field'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just hada look at the Hollows site, it gets my vote.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin