Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,968   Online: 904

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ilford & Kentmere papers. Why such a large price difference?

Considering that all of these papers are manufactured by Harman Technology, why is there such a large price difference between the fibre-based Ilford VC papers and the Kentmere Fineprint VC paper?

http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/ilf...ie-fb-43-c.asp

http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/mgi...gloss-51-c.asp

http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/mgiv-fb-gloss-47-c.asp

http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/fin...ibre-135-c.asp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like there is a 40 % difference there (50 to 70 pounds) compared to 21 % at Freestyle in the U.S. ($82 to $99). So at an exchange rate of $1.62, the Kentmere is the same price in the U.S. as it is in England, and the Ilford is more expensive in England, by about $14 (all prices for a 100 sheet box of FB glossy).
    Last edited by johnnywalker; 03-05-2011 at 06:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    What ever the difference in price, try the Kentmere VC Fineprint. I have been using it since before Ilford bought it and love it.

John Powers

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Ansel Adams used Kentmere frequently and results are excellent. I did not see any Ilford print out from him.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, the price differences in the UK are huge between the Ilford and Kentmere papers. I have ordered a box of the Kentmere Fineprint VC and at those prices, I will likely make it my regular paper.
    Kentmere Bromide is also on my shopping list.
    I am still curious why there is such a big cost difference between them in the UK?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found a box of 16x12 Kentmere VC select in my paper store a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed by its performance. I even liked the semi matte finish. I am converted and will use the Fineprint VC as my standard neutral tone paper from now on. I cannot explain the price difference either.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Kentmere FPVC (both matte and glossy) are the only thing I've used since Agfa's demise. The price is excellent indeed. Mostly a matter of marketing, no? Why should there be more to it?

OTOH: I have a pack of the 'new' Adox MCC coming. While Kentmere is very nice, it still doesn't get to old Agfa levels (muddiers shadows, not as nice tonality). Kentmere is excellent for playing around without getting the shakes every time you grab a sheet; Agfa (and I suppose Ilford, but I never tried that) is for those negatives/prints you want to get the last single drop out of.

I'm very curious after the new Adox. I fully expect it to 'blow away' Kentmere. Not that Kentmere is bad, just that Agfa was such a great product.

This is excellent vs excellent-plus, or something like that. Prices reflect that, with some marketing tactics thrown in on top.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    sandermarijn,

MCC is an excellent paper that has now become my standard paper in as much as that is possible. However, the Adox boxes could do with some serious improvement as they tend to disintegrate rather too easily.

Tom

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I used Kentmere FB VC for years as Arista until Freestyle stopped offering it and then I switched to Ilford. Right away I noticed the Ilford gave better Dmax and better shadow contrast. However the Ilford highlights were mushy until I started adding a lot more Potassium Bromide to the developer. I think Ilford is a little better paper in that ultimately I like the look of the prints a bit better as they are a little bit warmer and have better Dmax. If however Freestyle re introduced Arista II and it was Kentmere, I would switch back.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not to play devil's advocate, but I've never liked the prints I've gotten from Kentmere (I can only find their VC fibre base, here). I respect that others get great results, and hooray for choice...but for me personally this paper's always been muddy, no zing, etc.

A huge difference when I switch to Ilford paper...but as I said, that's just me.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin