Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,261   Online: 760

Shooter
    35mm

Cornwall (again)

Hello All,

We're off to Cornwall again during the week between Easter and May Day. I'm looking for a location that fits the following criteria:

Sun sets over sea
    Interesting rocks to silhouette
    Won't get cut off

I have in mind to play around with slow shutter speeds at dusk with the sea blurred. I know it's rather clichéd - but living in Oxfordshire, there's little chance to grow tired of this sort of thing! I'm also likely to visit Wheal Coates to take more clichéd pictures - I should be able to find ready made tripod holes there!

Any ideas for a seascape location gratefully received.

Thanks!
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Hello All,

We're off to Cornwall again during the week between Easter and May Day. I'm looking for a location that fits the following criteria:

Sun sets over sea
    Interesting rocks to silhouette
    Won't get cut off

I have in mind to play around with slow shutter speeds at dusk with the sea blurred. I know it's rather clichéd - but living in Oxfordshire, there's little chance to grow tired of this sort of thing! I'm also likely to visit Wheal Coates to take more clichéd pictures - I should be able to find ready made tripod holes there!

Any ideas for a seascape location gratefully received.

Thanks!
    You will be spoilt for choice.
    Land's End or near by there would be good for sun sets.
    There are plenty of good locations for photographing rocks. Porth Nanven (Cott-Valley) is a popular location and Godrevy near Gwithian is a lovely beach that shouldn't cut you off.

APUG members such as Bill Spears and Neil Souch would have plenty of good suggestions for places to visit.

Or Portwen + the smiley I can't find
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks all. Let's hope the sun doesn't hide behind the clouds.
    Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    May the Light be with you

Martin

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Steve,

If you get fed up with Wheal Coates, there are other cliff-side engine houses. Trewavas Head mine and Rinsey are close together (near Prussia Cove) and of course there are Wheal Owles, Wheal Edward and the two Crowns houses on the cliffs at Pendeen, nr. St Just. If you find yourself in that area, it's worth making a trip to Pendeen lighthouse after dark (i.e. when the pub has chucked out!). Walk down the short path and you can stand almost under the light. Four beams sweep the horizon and it's especially impressive if it's foggy (i.e. quite often!) I shot some slides of it at night last summer, but plan to return with b/w. If you'd like OS references for the mines I mention, let me know.

Best wishes,

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for the tips. Yes, by all means please do give me the OS refs, either here or via pm.
    Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Kynance Cove (on the Lizzard) is fabulous - the waves, the rocks, the cliffs, the caves - it has everything including a nice beach is you have kids and a tea shop/cafe

But if you are down on the beach watch out for the tides - they sneak up behind you and can cut you off

Martin

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Steve,
    Sorry it's taken me a while to get back with map refs. All from 1:50,000 (or 1 1/4" to the mile if you're like me, sheet 203) Most have 'Chy', 'mine, etc marked.
    Trewavas Head/Rinsey: SW600265
    Crowns Mine & Wheal Edward: SW362337 (an area of intense mining activity - plenty of ruins!)
    Levant Mine: SW368345 (National Trust and in steam sometimes - check NT website. no need to spend any money if you just want to look from the outside!)
    Pendeen Watch: (Lighthouse) SW379359
    Cape Cornwall: SW350318 (England's only Cape - headland with chimney stack on summit)
    If you get a rainy day (not unknown in Cornwall!) Geevor Mine SW375345 is a tourist attraction but well worth a look. I had the good fortune to go underground here when it was still in operation in 1986. The parts of the mine that we collected specimens from were in levels driven out under the sea bed and are now sadly under water.

Have a good time!

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Steve - Thanks very much for your post! Great help.
    Steve.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin