Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,425   Online: 906

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *&%@* eBay!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While the merged categories are definitely moving in the wrong direction, you can do fancier searches and create a bookmark for them (at least, here in the US version). I have bookmarks preset for Bronica, 77 mm filters, push-on (and slip-on) filters, etc. to reduce the amount of stuff to wade through. Like some others, I have used ePrey to build up a Bronica SQ-A outfit, added a Yashica 124G and an Ercona II to my user collection, as well as picked up lots of miscellaneous odds and ends. For a hobby, I couldn't consider most of that financially sensible back when the stuff was in current production.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I still use eBay, but very rarely. I look mostly at KEH and Samys.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    eBay is perhaps not a good place to go looking for a camera of any sort unless you can get a touchy-feely, up-close-and-very-personal inspection. Not meaning to tar 'em all with the same brush it can be handy: just beware of the bees, but take notice of the birds.

Lots of other goodies there can save a fortune over retail with all its taxes and imposts. B+W filters are one, but make sure you get a genuine one. I doubt very much the Real McCoy is $2.50...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Poisson, please feel free to tar 'em!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    eBay is perhaps not a good place to go looking for a camera of any sort unless you can get a touchy-feely, up-close-and-very-personal inspection. Not meaning to tar 'em all with the same brush it can be handy: just beware of the bees, but take notice of the birds.

Lots of other goodies there can save a fortune over retail with all its taxes and imposts. B+W filters are one, but make sure you get a genuine one. I doubt very much the Real McCoy is $2.50...
    That's a rather narrow view, Gary. I have bought lots of good gear on the 'bay over several years, most of it from foreign parts where touch-and-feel is impossible, much of it as rare as hen's teeth in Oz, all of it would have been beyond my financial reach in its heyday, and even beyond my financial reach at the second-hand prices still being charged within Oz, particularly by photographic retailers still in a 1980's time warp. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too have had great success on Ebay buying used gear.

AU prices *are* crazy - when I see ads here on APUG for free 5x4 enlargers and some of the gear on Craiglist US that is mentioned makes we weep!!!

I picked up my entire EOS film system compliments of Ebay - there is no way I could have done so in AU. A used EOS1 body (Mk1 I think) set me back $195 including postage, the same in AU at the time - starting around $695, if I could find one, and that would have been a *really well used* one.

I've been stung once; my own fault as the original seller of the lens sent me an email regarding the second seller's claims. I brushed them aside, believing I could have the AF repaired by Canon - alas, not to be, as the parts were no longer available. Ended up selling it on Ebay myself, with full disclosure of AF problem, and the sale left me $100 out of pocket. Lesson learned - if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is!

I admit do prefer to deal with 100% feedbacks, but sometimes that isn't always possible. In which case, I use the feedbacks as a gauge - check the negatives and if I feel ok with them, I'll buy - I don't consider postage cost and import duty "gripes" per se as valid negatives, these things are clearly obvious, as are returns OS that require you to pay for the postage back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What actually kills me is that Inkjet paper is lumped in with Darkroom Developing - Photographic Paper arrrghhh!!!!!

I *hate* that - means I need to fine tune the search even further when I want to grab some old *real* paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Fool Me Once ...

Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Fool Me Once, Shame On Me.

Fool Me Twice, We Won't Get Fooled Again ...

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.Longmore View Post
    Fool Me Once, Shame On Me.

Fool Me Twice, We Won't Get Fooled Again ...

Ron

I hope so Ron! If it sounds too good to be true at that price, it probably isn't true!

I purchased a B+W Käsemann circular polariser on eBay. The seller was duly sussed out (like all I have dealt with and to date not had a single negative experience with) and some enquiries made. No problems found: that business brings in B+W filters from authorised Schneider Krueznack Hong Kong distributor so I was confident there were no tricks (especially the garbage circulating on Photo.net about "B+W authentic vs fake filters" — oh, pllllllease!!). Here in Australia, that filter would have cost $260 with postage. And eBay? $138, postage free.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Black View Post
    Ben, it's been one of my pleasures in recent years to buy cameras I had yearned for in years gone by, but could never afford at the time. This has taken me through F3, FE2 and F5 Nikons, Olympus OM2Nand mju 11, Minox GT, Canon EOS 50E, and flirted with rangefinders including a Leica M3, Bronica RF645 & Fuji GSW690, virtually all of which have been tried and eventually moved on for the same or more.

I'm tending to move away from 35mm now, but I've just developed a roll of HP5+ from my 36 year old Olympus Trip 35 tonight to see if it is still working. While it looks like the meter might be a touch off, I'm keeping the Trip and have no desire to "upgrade" it.
    If you enjoy buying stuff on ebay Peter fair enough, I was speaking personally, I realized that many years ago that my photography wasn't being improved by buying more, bigger and better cameras and lenses, I decided that I already have an adequate range of equipment and that wasn't what was holding me back from being a brilliant photographer because many of the photographers I admire became legends with much less and simpler gear than I had, in short I discovered that my photography wasn't a problem that be solved by throwing money at it.
    Ben

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin