Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,298   Online: 903

Shooter
    Medium Format

Help on an Insurance Claim

I temporarily put a large number of my prints and negatives into a storage unit earlier this year. Unfortunatley the company's internal guttering systems froze and subsequently burst soaking some 484 negative sheets.

I'm presently liaising with the storage company's insurance assessor to at least recover some of the value of the damaged items. I put a claim in for cost of the films, professional processing in regard to the negatives and a nominal value for each damaged 16" x 12" print; the assessor has subsequently asked me to provide a written, independant valuation for these items.

Can anyone please advise where I might obtain such evidence?

Unfortunatley the limit of the cover is £5000, so in my opinion, it will in no way cover the cost of the materials, let alone the heartache of losing some 12 years of black and white photography. As the negs were only in storage for a few days whilst I moved house, I never thought to insure them seperatley....lesson learned

Hopefully someone out there can point me in teh right direction to get this matter resolved.

Thanks
    Kevin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nightmare! Sorry to hear this. I found this company when a friend of mine wanted to value some antiques although they didn't end up using them so I have no direct experience. From their website it appears they may do insurance too -

http://www.townleyvaluations.co.uk/index.html

good luck

Tony
    regards,

Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may find yourself having to file against the owners in small claims court to recover the balance of the amount lost. At least thats how it works here in the States.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    Tony has summed up my sentiments exactly. Bad luck just doesn't describe it

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    You may find yourself having to file against the owners in small claims court to recover the balance of the amount lost. At least thats how it works here in the States.
    UK small claims is for up to £5,000 so unless there is a way to legitimately split this into several claims, I don't see any benefit over taking the insurance money.

The £5,000 figure would have been included in the original contract and/or terms and conditions so unfortunately, I don't expect that the company has any further liability anyway.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin