Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,761   Online: 1184

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Carmarthen Camera?

Anyone know anything about this business in Wales? I am in the U.S. and trying to buy a czmera from them. Trouble is, that their website http://www.carmarthencameras.co.uk/ does not take U.S. transactions,

Well, neither do they apparently answer their email, as two messages have gone unanswered. I'd call overseas, but do not want to waste the phone call money if they are not interested. Thanks.
    Geo.

Shooter
    35mm
    I had a quick look at their website and it looks as if they do send stuff overseas. When did you send the e-mails? While the shop may be open on a Saturday, the dept answering e-mails may be a Monday to Friday operation only.

Your thread shows up as being today(Sunday) only but I'd swear that a slightly longer version of this thread was on APUG yesterday( Saturday). Was that you or am I imagining things?

I have never dealt with them however.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many thanks for the reply and yes, that was me on here earlier. However, I reposted here after a time because of no reponses there. In addition, I posted on photo.net to catch a different cross-section of users. It seemed to me that photo.net was more likely to have an abundance of U.K. users. There were several reponses there, including one person who has done business with Carmarthen Cameras.

I have sent these people more than one email. I do not remember what days of the weeks that I sent the emails, but I would expect any business to be able to come in on Monday morning and go through the weekend's mail. At least, I thought that a fair assumption.

Carmarthen Cameras has an item that I want and in a condition for which I have been searching. Our stateside KEH, and others, seem not to have the item for some time. I know that it will be more expensive, but I'm only going to do this once.
    Geo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've dealt with them locally, though a couple of years back now. They're reputable, whatever their efficiency with email ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pgeobc. I have dealt with Carmarthen cameras approximately 2 years back. I found them utterly reliable, and their descriptions of used equipment is spot on and accurate. I bought medium format gear, Mamiya RZ complete, with a lens, and I think I got it at a genuine bargain price. It was so reasonable their asking price, that I did not try and barter for them to lower it. Their website is a virtual Aladdin's cave as regards their used stock. I hope you have success in contacting them, because I would not hesitate to use them again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Case closed, so many thanks to all who replied. From photo.net, another lister called Carmarthen and alerted them to the problem. I got an email this A.M. in reply to an additional one I sent yesterday. Trouble is that the item had already been sold. Drat, it is hard to find an Autocord in mint condition at a reasonable price.
    Geo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pgeobc View Post
    Drat, it is hard to find an Autocord in mint condition at a reasonable price.
    Try posting a wanted advert here on APUG. It's worked well for me when I've needed certain item and I know others find the same.

Ian

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Pgeobc View Post
    I would expect any business to be able to come in on Monday morning and go through the weekend's mail. At least, I thought that a fair assumption.
    Ha! Please remember that this is Britain you're talking about!
    This is the place where a canteen where I worked used to close for lunch at lunchtime. This is the place where tea shops close at tea time and where I went last weekend to a major heritage museum to find that I'd just missed the last tour at 2p.m. (in June????). It's also the place where I asked for a quote for piece of equipment costing in the region of £10,000 a week ago and didn't get so much as an acknowledgement until today after two 'chase-up' phone calls.
    Yes - the British Empire was built on customer service and enterprise!
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve,

Something else I've noticed is that even during the summer, if one visits a public access place, beach, woods, even a mountain in Scotland, people often seem to leave for their "tea" just as the light is best...

Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Steve,

Something else I've noticed is that even during the summer, if one visits a public access place, beach, woods, even a mountain in Scotland, people often seem to leave for their "tea" just as the light is best...

Tom

Ha, so true!

I'm often out at low light taking landscape photos, and usually try and eat my main meal in the middle of the day to save the trauma of trying to find somewhere that sells anything edible later. I'm often in remote places in the northwest highlands in Scotland, and often bring my lightweight backpacking gas stove and some grub along.

In the summer, we have little sun here in the north (!) but do have long days - I was taking pictures at the weekend near Loch Torridon after 11pm in beautiful low light. Makes organising eating a bit easier at this time of year...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin