Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,952   Posts: 1,557,965   Online: 1039

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Camera repair buy in Denver

I Denver there is a bicycle/camera repair shop on Broadway, south of I-25, amongst all the antique shops. It's a fascinating place - old bicycle parts, lenses, old cameras in various states of disrepair, all in a big jumble. I stumbled upon the place while cruising the antique shops with my wife. I can't remember the name of the place, but the guy said a CLA on my old Zeiss folder with the Novar lens and Compur shutter would be about $100.

Does anybody have any experience with him? The price isn't too far out of line and if he is any good I would prefer to keep the camera in town and avoid using the mail.

Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    I Denver there is a bicycle/camera repair shop on Broadway, south of I-25, amongst all the antique shops. It's a fascinating place - old bicycle parts, lenses, old cameras in various states of disrepair, all in a big jumble. I stumbled upon the place while cruising the antique shops with my wife. I can't remember the name of the place, but the guy said a CLA on my old Zeiss folder with the Novar lens and Compur shutter would be about $100.

Does anybody have any experience with him? The price isn't too far out of line and if he is any good I would prefer to keep the camera in town and avoid using the mail.

Thanks in advance.
    Do you remember the cross street? Or address? Or name? That's my neck of town. (How were the "antiques"?)

s-a

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now that I look at google maps, it looks like it was S.E Denver Camera Repair between Florida and Arkansas.

The antiques? They were ok, I guess. My wife was looking for what you might call accent pieces, something to jazz up the place. There were a couple of early Kodak Brownies (the almost-cardboard ones) in real good shape that were mighty tempting and a Kodak 6x9 folder that I was all ready to get until I saw it was 620 and not 120. I didn't want the trouble for 620. Since then I have been hearing it might not be all that much so much bother.

Still wondering - has anybody used this guy?

Shooter
    35mm
    Now that I look at google maps, it looks like it was S.E Denver Camera Repair between Florida and Arkansas.

The antiques? They were ok, I guess. My wife was looking for what you might call accent pieces, something to jazz up the place. There were a couple of early Kodak Brownies (the almost-cardboard ones) in real good shape that were mighty tempting and a Kodak 6x9 folder that I was all ready to get until I saw it was 620 and not 120. I didn't want the trouble for 620. Since then I have been hearing it might not be all that much so much bother.

Still wondering - has anybody used this guy?
    Wonder if this guy had Rocky Mountain Camera Repair years ago. They fixed for me a 105mm that had rolled off a 100' cliff onto the scree field. In the rain. Took two of us two hours to find it. Bent hood, bent filter ring and a crushed focusing ring. This was over twenty years ago. I'll go in this week and ask him. Don't know if he's a wizard but if he still has his chops he'd be pretty darn good.

s-a

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think he's been there forever. He seems to disappear into the background like Bartelby the Scrivener, as if the place is an extension of himself and they have merged into one being via the famous Spock Mind Meld. If there are a bunch of 10-speed street bikes in the front of the store you have the right place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just stumbled across this place over the weekend. It was a blast to go in and see the piles of cameras, camera parts, bicycles and bike parts. A couple of old crusty types eating lunch in the back say "hi" and are surprised I still shoot film. As far as having a camera fixed there.... uhm, I don't think so. He may be good but the way the shop looked, I'm afraid he would set it down somewhere and it would never be found again.
    My Photography Site www.lofgreenimages.com and My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was in there a couple of years ago. Glad to hear it hasn't changed
    Never had anything repaired there, but it is a really cool little shop to wander in.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Lofgreen View Post
    As far as having a camera fixed there.... uhm, I don't think so. He may be good but the way the shop looked, I'm afraid he would set it down somewhere and it would never be found again.
    This place reminds me of all the basement and garage shops where things like this used to be done in 1960's rural northern Minnesota when I was growing up. All the little towns were full of crusty old guys eating lunch in places piled high with God knows what it all was. Yeah, it's hard to trust that old way when we are so accustomed to customer service reps in matching polo shirts having a record of your every transaction available in a hand-held unit. I should take a flyer on the guy.

Shooter
    35mm
    This place reminds me of all the basement and garage shops where things like this used to be done in 1960's rural northern Minnesota when I was growing up. All the little towns were full of crusty old guys eating lunch in places piled high with God knows what it all was. Yeah, it's hard to trust that old way when we are so accustomed to customer service reps in matching polo shirts having a record of your every transaction available in a hand-held unit. I should take a flyer on the guy.
    Better yet, head down there and do a photo essay on him and his shop. I'd bet it'd be a real neat story for APUG.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    Better yet, head down there and do a photo essay on him and his shop. I'd bet it'd be a real neat story for APUG.
    That would be fun, but you have no idea what kind of shitstorm it would stir up. With no hard deadline, it would turn into the never ending project that ate pbromaghin's house. "Just one more shot of that display case, just one more rewrite of that paragraph...."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin