Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,096   Online: 1002

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Aluminum Overcast at Centennial airport this weekend.

The B-17, Aluminum Overcast will be at Centennial Airport 6/19 - 6/22. Ground tours $10, rides $449 - $475.

Info: https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/flight-ex...ast-tour-stops

She looks great on tri-x.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In 1985 I was taking care of my grandfather just outside Lock Haven, Pa. home of Piper Aircraft. That year they were having a fly-in and a B-17 was there. My pops next door neighbor was in charge of photographing the entire event, si he recruited me to help. They supplied me with all the film I could shoot, and a pass to the event. I got to fly in the B-17, what a jaw dropping, mind twisting ride in history.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm

great warbird

Fabulous bird. I remember in the 1940s when I saw one of them shoe-horned into a tiny airport in Iowa. I was a pretty amazed kid. In the war, it brought a lot of kids back home despite getting shot full of holes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've only shot the exterior and never been in one. Rick, how would you suggest shooting the interior? How dark is it? I'm thinking maybe a 24mm and iso 400 B&W. I'll need to spool up some tri-x, or should I pick up some Delta 3200?

Would love to take a ride, but that's a lot of coin.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't want to step on Rick's toes, but I was inside a B-17G only two days ago. It was the Collings Foundation "Nine-O-Nine". They were at Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Collection at Paine Field in Snohomish County, Washington.

The inside of that B-17G is really cramped. And really dark. I had my 4x5 Crown with flashbulbs, anticipating only exterior shots. I didn't even try inside because the bulbs would have been way too powerful at those tight distances.

I would think at least a 24mm on a 35mm camera. But if you could go wider, I would. 20mm, or even a rectilinear 18mm or 15mm would not be out of place. There's a lot to show, but not much room to maneuver.

And as I said, it's dark. Not much light, and everything was painted olive drab or brown or black. Inside the fuselage, think of shooting with a flash down a mine tunnel. The nearest walls will be overexposed in order to get the end of the tunnel correct. And side-to-side wall shots will be made at not much more than arm's length. The more film speed the better, I would think, to enhance depth-of-field in the tunnel shots.

I do remember thinking that a synchro-sunlight-balanced bare bulb with a very wide angle lens might have worked well in the cockpit.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, guys. 24mm is as wide as I can go and I just picked up a roll of Delta 3200. The tours aren't real long and there are usually quite a few people so there likely won't be time enough inside to use much more than that. I'll probably bring 2 bodies, one for inside and one for out.

And a scary thought comes to mind. Maybe the Cambo 4x5 can make it's first debut in public.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin