Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,926   Posts: 1,522,124   Online: 802

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markrewald View Post
    Mark - From Aurora - I haven't been to an Englwood meeting in probably 5 or 6 years. Sorry to hear they are a primary digital group now. Let me know when you guys get out to do some shooting I would love to do some work in downtown Littleton. Getting bored of downtown Denver anyway. =)
    Indeed. Such a shame, but I'll show my stuff and see. That's all I can do as a film shooter.

We'll let you know. We need to firm up something anyway... Perhaps I'll create a new thread in this Denver Forum and see who else we can shake out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps there might be a pub involved!?!?
    Douglas Westphal

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwestphal View Post
    Perhaps there might be a pub involved!?!?
    Ha, ha! I think that can be arranged!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm going to start a new thread on this - I'll call it the Littleton Shoot to see if we can't garner up a bit more interest.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by toro_mike View Post
    I'm going to start a new thread on this - I'll call it the Littleton Shoot to see if we can't garner up a bit more interest.
    Sounds good. Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by toro_mike View Post
    Indeed. Such a shame, but I'll show my stuff and see. That's all I can do as a film shooter...
    Just a quick (oh, maybe not!!) update regarding the ECC - I will not be renewing my membership. They have gone 100% digital, which I knew going into it, however, they are not remotely open (or friendly) to me being a film shooter.

This is my opinion only and I don't intend to badmouth this group. As a fan of analog, I'm sharing my observations with you all. Since this shows up on the first page of Google, I figured I'd better state that fact. If you are 100% digital and are a big fan of computer manipulation, you will get a lot more out of this group than I did (for the record, I am very experience in Photoshop and digital graphics design - it's a big part of my career).

* On day 1, new members were asked to introduce themselves. I became an instant outcast by stating I was a primarily B&W film shooter with a wet darkroom. Folks actually avoided talking to me... and, as those on here who know me can attest (I would hope), I am a very friendly and open person. I did not present myself as a film snob at all - I'm not, in fact, I do both film and digital and I stated this fact.

* A month didn't seem to go by when somebody wasn't complaining about how horrid it was during the film era. The key message - digital is the best thing ever to happen to photography. Yes, film is "harder" I guess, but it is not horrid.

* They won't bring in pros anymore to give talks/slideshows/presentations, but will instead focus on providing digital seminars (primarily Photoshop, Lightroom, and Silver Efex - or whatever software program or plug-in is hot that week).

* Finally, the format of the competitions. It is a silent affair, where the judge speaks only and after judging, most folks grab their stuff and leave. There is very, very little discussion on the good and bad points of the photographs and therefore, very little growth for me as a photographer, which was my primary goal.

Overall, it wasn't a wasted membership. I did come out with a heap of darkroom gear (for free) on two separate occasions. However, I came out very depressed that I couldn't find any kinship in a hobby that I love with this group. Be it digital or analog, there is still a lot of common ground. There may have been other factors at work, but I definitely did not feel welcomed nor did I gain anything photographically or personally.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Very odd that a photography/camera club would care what technology you use to produce a photograph. I'm not even sure what "gone 100% digital" could mean. You guys show up with prints, right? Not CD-ROMs or CF cards. Very, very odd. I'll vouch for your friendliness, so it can't be that.

My only theory as to your being "shunned" is that many in the club probably started photography after the digital revolution. Perhaps film makes members feel a bit uneasy because they perceive it as something on which they can't hold up their end of the conversation. And, whether you're friendly or not, maybe they expect you to think you're a little "above" them, and that makes them uneasy. Heck, they might feel the same if I showed up with my M8 and a prime lens, rather than a DSLR+zoom. At the other end of the scale, I wonder how they treat people that show up with a 6mp Canon Elph?

OK, enough pop psychology. I guess they should change their name to the EDCC.

Their loss.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just struck me: Of course, if we wanted to have real fun, several of us could show up to a meeting with film cameras. Then you wouldn't be outnumbered .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I agree with you Mike. They do have a digital entry class, which are emailed and projected, but the other two judging classes are color print and monochrome print.

I'm not sure what their reason is... the club has been around for over 50 years, and most (99% of the club are near retirement age or beyone) have been around during the 100% analog era. So, many were film photogs (I mean, artists!) in their past. It seems to be more of a digital snobbery, where they think using FILM is a step back, and THEY are superior. That is my impression anyway.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mathomas View Post
    Just struck me: Of course, if we wanted to have real fun, several of us could show up to a meeting with film cameras. Then you wouldn't be outnumbered .
    That'd be a hoot. Though I doubt it'd make much of an impression.

Mike

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin