Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,687   Online: 724

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by toro_mike View Post

It seems to be more of a digital snobbery, where they think using FILM is a step back, and THEY are superior. That is my impression anyway.
    They must have shot 35mm back in the day, then, and must be shooting full-frame 35mm diagonal sensors today. I would say that good quality digital has at least "equalled" 35mm film (by some definitions of "equal"), but MF film is still better than sub-full-frame digital, I believe. And all of the "cool features" of today's camera probably have won them over (and I'm actually interested in, and use, those features myself -- I just don't feel like I require them to get photos taken).

I'm curious -- did they actually announce that only digital submissions would be welcome? Or is it more that the cool reception just kept getting cooler, and you could tell you'd never feel welcome?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mathomas View Post
    They must have shot 35mm back in the day, then, and must be shooting full-frame 35mm diagonal sensors today. I would say that good quality digital has at least "equalled" 35mm film (by some definitions of "equal"), but MF film is still better than sub-full-frame digital, I believe. And all of the "cool features" of today's camera probably have won them over (and I'm actually interested in, and use, those features myself -- I just don't feel like I require them to get photos taken).
    Yes, in my opinion, it is definitely the techno-craze that has taken hold. It's always about that new software/camera and it's whiz-bang features.

I'm curious -- did they actually announce that only digital submissions would be welcome?

No, they did not, in any way, state that only digital entries were acceptable. They accept both digital and analog (I mean, how could they really tell??). They have three basic classes for judging - Color Print, Monochrome Print and Digital Projected. So, I could have scanned my negatives and entered into Digital Projected if I had wanted.

Or is it more that the cool reception just kept getting cooler, and you could tell you'd never feel welcome?
    Yup, that about sums it up.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is to bad that both of you feel this way, that is, shame on the ECC! I guess they have forgotten that (in my mind) photography is the capture of an image for historical purpose or what not no matter what the media used was??
    Am I wrong in my thinking??
    How are both of you guys? sorry I have been so damn busy, I have really missed going out shooting!
    Douglas Westphal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwestphal View Post
    This is to bad that both of you feel this way, that is, shame on the ECC! I guess they have forgotten that (in my mind) photography is the capture of an image for historical purpose or what not no matter what the media used was??
    Am I wrong in my thinking??
    How are both of you guys? sorry I have been so damn busy, I have really missed going out shooting!
    I agree completely Doug. I'm rather bummed about the whole situation (other than the darkroom gear). I was looking for camaraderie/friendship in photography, but instead found people who had issues with my methods. There may have been more, or less to it, but that's it in a nutshell.

However, the benefit of this has been that I found you guys and have enjoyed our outings thoroughly. So, it worked out in the end.

I know how you feel. I've been really busy as well, which is good - job security, I guess

Hopefully February will work better for you... We'll get you out sooner or later!

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm good. I'm not a club guy, so it doesn't bum me out much really. To each their own. It's just too bad if the club has created an atmosphere where the equipment is more important than the resulting imagery, and folks that are interested in giving the club experience a run (like Mike) are given the cold shoulder.

Looks like Mike may have created a thread for the next APUG Denver shoot. Hopefully you can make it. Am going to check it out now...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by toro_mike View Post
    I agree with you Mike. They do have a digital entry class, which are emailed and projected, but the other two judging classes are color print and monochrome print.

I'm not sure what their reason is... the club has been around for over 50 years, and most (99% of the club are near retirement age or beyond) have been around during the 100% analog era. So, many were film photogs (I mean, artists!) in their past. It seems to be more of a digital snobbery, where they think using FILM is a step back, and THEY are superior. That is my impression anyway.
    A while back I attended a meeting of the local club up here in Loveland and got generally the same reception. The club is definitely 100% digital and very into manipulation of the image. Lots of HDR and very unnatural looking images. I found a rather cool reception from most of the members which was noticed by one guy who stopped me after the meeting and basically told me to keep doing what I do and don't worry about the people in the club and their reaction to my being there. (I have and I wasn't!) To me they seemed so wrapped up in the idea that being newer, of course digital was better that they lost sight of the fact that its all photography. The general attitude was that I was somehow just slow in figuring out that photography is now a digital medium. They were pretty much all in love with the things they could do on the computer and as you mentioned Mike were only interested in discussing the new technology. Ah well, I'm not really much of a joiner anyhow so no big deal, I was just looking for a way to jump start my creative process and will keep on doing what I do!
    Various Canons and Nikons. A Mamiya and a Bronica. A couple Brownies, and a Couple of Argus' (Argi?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
    A while back I attended a meeting of the local club up here in Loveland and got generally the same reception. The club is definitely 100% digital and very into manipulation of the image. Lots of HDR and very unnatural looking images.
    So, I'm not completely alone in my experience here. That's good to hear. Based upon other threads around here, it seems to be where things are in the club scene.

I found a rather cool reception from most of the members which was noticed by one guy who stopped me after the meeting and basically told me to keep doing what I do and don't worry about the people in the club and their reaction to my being there. (I have and I wasn't!)
    Ah, at least one voice of reason in a club gone mad!

To me they seemed so wrapped up in the idea that being newer, of course digital was better that they lost sight of the fact that its all photography. The general attitude was that I was somehow just slow in figuring out that photography is now a digital medium. They were pretty much all in love with the things they could do on the computer and as you mentioned Mike were only interested in discussing the new technology.
    This definitely fits in with my theory. The fact that it's their way or no way is bizarre. As Mike (mathomas) and Doug said earlier, how can it be that there's no common ground in their minds??

Mike

Ah well, I'm not really much of a joiner anyhow so no big deal, I was just looking for a way to jump start my creative process and will keep on doing what I do!
    Yeah, that was my goal as well. I'll look elsewhere for that inspiration now.

Mike

Sometimes you have to make the effort to find those that have similar interests to you and form your own gig. Trying to fit into the conventional groups can be highly problematic. Been there and done that.

In South Aurora/Parker that is what six of us did and we are into our third monthly meeting. The criteria we put together is simple. You shoot B&W in large format and process your own film and make your own prints. The word digital is never uttered - ever.

I make B&W contact prints from 11x14, 8x20, 8x10 and 12x20 negatives and it is very stimulating to be around folks that you have something in common with.

Good Luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey Michael K, I Like your groups format very much(and would like to be invited if there are openings) and would like too know more as I am a large format shooter who would like to have some better information(and tutoring??)

Doug W.
    Douglas Westphal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Sometimes you have to make the effort to find those that have similar interests to you and form your own gig. Trying to fit into the conventional groups can be highly problematic. Been there and done that.

In South Aurora/Parker that is what six of us did and we are into our third monthly meeting. The criteria we put together is simple. You shoot B&W in large format and process your own film and make your own prints. The word digital is never uttered - ever.

I make B&W contact prints from 11x14, 8x20, 8x10 and 12x20 negatives and it is very stimulating to be around folks that you have something in common with.

Good Luck!
    Well, a new analog group has sprung up in Aurora as well. You're not the same group are you - from this thread? I wouldn't guess so as I have not read about any format requirements, though I missed the first meeting. I will definitely be there for the second in about 2 weeks!

Unfortunately, I do not have any large format gear (other than a 4x5 Speed Graphic, but I doubt that would qualify). It's something I'd like to do someday, but I just can't afford the equipment and probably film at this time.

It's great you've done this though! It's what we need to do, group up and share our passions. This self-described one-size-fits-all approach to clubs is great if you fit into their molds

Mike
    Last edited by toro_mike; 01-30-2011 at 10:47 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin