Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,519   Posts: 1,572,218   Online: 900

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Englewood Camera Club...

So that thread about photography clubs being deaf, dumb and blind to analog photography got me thinking about my local club, which I've never been to - the Englewood Camera Club. It appears, at least according to their website, as if they are not deaf, dumb and blind to analog photography at all, but again, I have never gone. So, their monthly meeting is tomorrow night and I am seriously thinking of going over to check them out. As all of my friends are digital nuts and don't understand what all those red lights in the basement are for, I think I need some new friends!

If anybody here are members and will be there tomorrow night, I'll be the lost soul . Otherwise, I'll report back on how it goes.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I went last night. They are a great group of people, though, of course, they are 100% digital. I am apparently now known as "the black and white guy." I didn't enter anything into their competition nor bring any samples, but I may next month. I was thinking something to blow their minds - the theme is night shots - so maybe some Delta 3200 processed and enlarged to bring out the grain big time. A night shot really would lend itself to this. That might be fun. I'm really not sure how they would react. I have a month to think about it

One BIG plus, I walked out with a box of darkroom gear one of the guys was getting rid of (an old Pyro guy). Mostly easles, developing canisters (another AGFA tank!), slide components, graduated beakers, tongs, etc. He said I probably owe him something for all that, but then said JUST TAKE IT. So, that's great! I can always use more darkroom stuff! That in itself is enough reason to join for at least a year, and then decide from there.
    Last edited by toro_mike; 07-14-2010 at 11:07 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: TYPOS!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

So, where is everybody?

Okay, I can't be the only one down here doing analog? So, where is everybody? Are you guys in the Denver Photographic Society? Or not in any? Or not in the southern suburbs? Or already turned off by the club(s)?

Just looking to see why we are so inactive as a group. Well, there was some activity before I came about, so maybe it just didn't work.

Thanks!
    Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi,

Another Mike here. Hey, you never know, I might show up at a club meeting sometime. I'm not much of a club guy, but I realize that going to club meetings and doing projects does help to keep one's photo juices flowing. I've been shooting (& dev/scanning) film a lot lately (started photography in the 70's), so you wouldn't be a complete loner . On the other hand, I shoot quite a bit of digital too.

Maybe we can get together to shoot sometime, if you like. I shoot in downtown Littleton quite a bit. What are your fave spots?

later...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Mike,

Well... I'm up in Thornton so Englewood is a bit far for me. I do have a darkroom that I haven't touched in a while but looking forward to getting back into it again. I don't know if I have time for group meetings since my schedule has been wacky lately. I would like to attend a club meeting one of these days but I probably won't make it until the fall season.

Ray

PS - Every month, Illuminate Workshops holds a night photowalk that's really. You may want to look into that if you like night shooting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mathomas View Post
    Hi,

Another Mike here. Hey, you never know, I might show up at a club meeting sometime. I'm not much of a club guy, but I realize that going to club meetings and doing projects does help to keep one's photo juices flowing. I've been shooting (& dev/scanning) film a lot lately (started photography in the 70's), so you wouldn't be a complete loner . On the other hand, I shoot quite a bit of digital too.

Maybe we can get together to shoot sometime, if you like. I shoot in downtown Littleton quite a bit. What are your fave spots?

later...
    Hi Mike. Good to hear of another shooter down here. I was never a club person either, but have decided to give it a chance. We'll see how I feel in a year after hanging out with all digital shooters. The goal, I guess, is to get photography more in my rediculously busy life and break out of this slump I'm in.

Definitely PM me as it would be great to get out with a like-minded person. I've not been out much lately, but the industrial parts of Englewood have been my haunts.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkorray View Post
    Hi Mike,

Well... I'm up in Thornton so Englewood is a bit far for me. I do have a darkroom that I haven't touched in a while but looking forward to getting back into it again. I don't know if I have time for group meetings since my schedule has been wacky lately. I would like to attend a club meeting one of these days but I probably won't make it until the fall season.

Ray

PS - Every month, Illuminate Workshops holds a night photowalk that's really. You may want to look into that if you like night shooting.
    Yeah, that would be quite a haul! The Broomfield Photo Club or Denver Photographic Society would make much more sense for you than the club down here, but at least at Englewood there is definitely one analog shooter.

I have heard of the night photowalk. I may try to get up there one of these days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey Mike,
    There are still some of us (ugh) film people out there as I am called by some of my (ICKY) digi friends.Yes I do own a digital camera but will never admit it and you can't prove anything!
    I have often thought about joining the clubs but have such a busy life as it is, one more thing could only complicate things plus I live in Aurora so your club would be a little out of my way.
    yea the get-to-gethers are hit or miss. I was part of the last one and there were only 5 of us. don't get me wrong, I met some great people but did hope for a bigger turn out.
    Who knows,,,,, maybe I will show up with a great big 8X10 positive sheet of film and freak all them digi's in the club out!

have fun shootin'!
    Douglas Westphal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwestphal View Post
    Hey Mike,
    There are still some of us (ugh) film people out there as I am called by some of my (ICKY) digi friends.Yes I do own a digital camera but will never admit it and you can't prove anything!
    I have often thought about joining the clubs but have such a busy life as it is, one more thing could only complicate things plus I live in Aurora so your club would be a little out of my way.
    yea the get-to-gethers are hit or miss. I was part of the last one and there were only 5 of us. don't get me wrong, I met some great people but did hope for a bigger turn out.
    Who knows,,,,, maybe I will show up with a great big 8X10 positive sheet of film and freak all them digi's in the club out!

have fun shootin'!
    Hello Douglas,
    Yeah, we do all lead really busy lives these days. That's the major reason I am getting out and hanging with the ECC crew. It's only once a month with sporadic shooting outtings here and there.

They are digital, true, but the vast majority are retirement age and many shot film in the past, hence my obtaining a box of darkroom gear. We'll see how they handle my first submission to their competition next month. I am still stuck between two schools of thought here: 1. emphasize the grain big time and make it obvious who shot it (and hope they can appreciate good grain) or 2. make it hard for them to recognize my film print with the finest grain possible (maybe shoot 4x5).

We'll see, I'll update this thread with what I come up with.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Mark - From Aurora - I haven't been to an Englwood meeting in probably 5 or 6 years. Sorry to hear they are a primary digital group now. Let me know when you guys get out to do some shooting I would love to do some work in downtown Littleton. Getting bored of downtown Denver anyway. =)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin