Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,993   Posts: 1,524,246   Online: 1060

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It was a great time meeting you all, and shooting with you too. I can't wait to see some of the images we come up with. Also a thanks to David for suggesting Denver Pro Photo as our meeting spot. Travis treated us well. I just love that store.

D.
    My Photography Site www.lofgreenimages.com and My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah I'm glad I was able to make it, it was a good time and I enjoyed meeting you all. As for DPP? I had forgotten how nice that place is and I'm sure my wife will soon hate the place.
    Lets do it again soon!
    Various Canons and Nikons. A Mamiya and a Bronica. A couple Brownies, and a Couple of Argus' (Argi?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't remember who was in on the conversation but I think it was at the brewery that I mentioned that Canon had made a rangefinder with an f1.7 lens (the Canonet QL17). I think the context was that it may be the fastest lens put on a rangefinder. I had forgotten that Canon also made the 7 which has a lovely f0.95 lens, which I think is the fastest lens available on a rangefinder. Could be wrong though, anyone know of a faster one?
    Various Canons and Nikons. A Mamiya and a Bronica. A couple Brownies, and a Couple of Argus' (Argi?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Leica makes one too. See it here.

D.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There are tons of RF lenses (fixed and otherwise), both past and present that are equivalent to, or faster than, f/1.7, but only one as fast as the old Canon TV lens.

The fastest fixed RF lens from the old days I can think of is the Yashica Lynx 14. It has a f/1.4 aperture (hence the name). Yashica's Electro series (also fixed lens) from the 70s offered f/1.7 lenses.

You still see the Canon f/.95 lenses floating around on the forums, usually for well below $1k. Images made with them are pretty dreamy. Whether that's good or bad depends on what you want from a lens :-). The old Noctilux f/1 is also available used for around $3k.

Konica once made a 60mm f/1.2 Hexanon in M-mount, as well. Pretty expensive on the used market at around $3k I think.

And, as Derek mentioned, Leica continues to make the fastest RF lens in production: The current Noctilux is a cool $11k, though, so I probably won't ever own one (or even hold one for that matter -- too risky).

Voigtlander also currently produces a couple of very fast RF lenses: the 50mm f/1.1 and 35mm f/1.2 Noktons. They are very reasonably priced (depending upon how reasonable you are), especially used.

There are tons of f/1.4 and f/1.5 lenses available for M-mount (of which my little Voigtlander 35 is one) and Leica Thread Mount.

There, more than you ever wanted to know about large-aperture RF lenses.
    Last edited by mathomas; 09-16-2010 at 12:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK, at long last, here are my picks/pics from the meet-up at Gates Rubber Company. Such an uplifting place to shoot -- dark like my soul . Unfortunately, my lovely wife didn't specify TIFF files for my scans at the lab, so I got JPGs . I did some pixel-peeping and they still look pretty darn good, and didn't need much editing so no harm (or not much) was done to the JPGs.

I love Delta 100, but that Adox did some pretty nice things, too, I think. And the Ektar is stunning (first color film I've shot in recent times).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mathoma...54453955/show/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for posting the pics Mike. That ektar looks really nice. I will soup mine this week and hope to have some posted this week too.

D.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Excellent shots Mike! Nicely done with the ektar! I souped mine last night and will get them scanned this week (I have a few shots more on my last roll, so they'll have to wait a few days).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, Mike and Derek. I look forward to seeing your results!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here are my first shots. I still have another 10 shots to go through after I finish the roll. So, hopefully there will be more coming soon...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1421364...97305368/show/

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin