Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,769   Posts: 1,516,492   Online: 843

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

All right, 'fess up! Who was it? :D

Just before the sun broke today around 7:20-7:30 somebody had pulled off the side of Federal near 84th and planted a tripod at the edge of the farm to get a very red and clear shot of the front range.

I've thought about doing this for a number of years (although I would have parked elsewhere and walked in, to each their own!). I was curious if it was any of you?

I? Oh, I was stuck in the traffic headed South. I was late thanks to my carpool passenger. C'est la Vie.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It was me! Even tough I live Richmond Va!

Jeff

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    No, no, it was me. Shame on me.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow, Jeff! True dedication to the art!

Well, the rocky mountains really are an essential landmark here. Your directions are "to the mountains" or "away from the mountains" for the average Coloradan. You'd think there's tons of pictures, right?

Nope. They are ever-present but we're also a relatively flat area. You stand anywhere to get a shot and you often have buildings in your way, telephone lines, SOMEthing. It's never a very clear shot, especially if you want to use a wide angle to get a lot of the mountain range (I mean it, you could use a 28mm and still only capture part of what you see by looking around, it really is impressive).

Well there's this bit of a hill around 84th at Federal. It drops away in 3 directions (West and South mostly, but also East) and to boot there's some crops West of it between you and the front range. That means minimal-to-no buildings, antennae, towers, power lines, etc. It really is a prime spot.

Oh, and also if you turn SE and have a good zoom lens, the other corner of the street is great for getting shots of the skyscrapers downtown. We just have the 2-3 square miles of high-rises in an otherwise flat sprawl and the way the light hits them can be picture worthy, but also has the same problems as taking pics of the mountains. This spot on Federal is idea for shooting either subject.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinholemaster View Post
    No, no, it was me. Shame on me.
    It can be so hit-or-miss. Did you get what you were hoping for? It was defintiely red sky at morning (Sailor take warning! -- oops, sorry, can't help but think of that every time)

Shooter
    35mm
    No, I'm Spartacus.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Could you tell what type of equipment (LF, MF, 35mm, DSLR) they were shooting? For you to bring it up here, it must have been something interesting!

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting only to a photographer that's wanted to do that for so long.

Short tripod, looked light weight. Maybe only 3 feet high (?), single camera, not an overly large lens sticking our or anything. I was driving by and only got a glance.

Or, just ask pinholemaster!

EDIT: whoops.. I see pinholemaster is in Westminster, MARYLAND... this was in Westminster COLORADO -- I think he was joshing me!
    Last edited by Markster; 01-05-2011 at 10:39 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added comment

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm Spartacus.

I could not resist, that has been the line of the week here at work because one of the younger people I work with mentioned watching the new show Spartacus.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tripods are for wusses. Handhold, baby!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin