Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,891   Online: 1152

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Any die-hard hikers/outdoorsy photographers in here?

I went on a high with the DU Alpine Club a number of years back. It was one of my first hikes. I took a couple of rolls of film. It was very memorable and I had a great blast of a time. I loved it.

Only, I never can recall the name of the place. I even traded a couple e-mails with the now-president of the club. Their webpage started putting up photographic histories of their outings but only as far back as 2006 (this hike was probably 2003/2004). I sent some e-mails to see if they had older records, described it as best I could, etc. No luck.

So, if I were to scan some pics of the scenery, might anybody here recognize the park/area we were in?

It's quite distinctive. Hiking through the woods first, heading to a distant waterfall up a steep cliff-like mountain face. Zig-zagging back and forth until realizing we were at the top of the waterfall that seemed so far away. Seeing old mining equipment, getting a bit of a history lesson... Finding a lake up on top of the plateau, only to find there's MORE sheer vertical cliffs on the other side of the lake.....

All put together, it was quite a unique experience. I would like to figure out where this was and go back some day. The conditions were breathtaking when I went the first time. It was moist and cold. Jackets all around, fog making it hard to see 50 feet. I believe we went up past 10,000 feet then came back down.
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sure, post them and we'll see if we can make out any recognizable landmarks. I've hiked fairly extensively all over the state, as I'm sure others have.

Any other hints you can remember that might give us a general area - any major roads you remember (I-70, 285, Boulder Turnpike, etc.)? They would all give us a general idea of where in the state your were. Do you remember if it took a long time to get there, or was quick?

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    I think it was a bit of a drive, so I'd assume more Southerly. Sadly I don't recall one iota of the drive, the direction. I was in a van (the DUAC rented a van or two, there were about 18-20 of us total, some folks drove themselves) and I was in one of the rows of the van napping or reading or something. I regret not paying attention better.

I will scan the highlights sometime between now and the weekend.
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to spend every spare day or so packing in the Uinta and Wasatch mountains when I lived in Utah. My best friend and I would get out nearly every weekend, and lived in tents for hunting season. I finally retired my old back pack a couple of years ago, the arthritis has gotten the better of me. My daughters and I take short hikes whenever possible these days, seems the hikes are getting shorter though.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    35mm
    Okay, here we go... It starts out with a hike through the trees. Mind you, it was foggy. I think that really lent it to being such a memorable and awe-inspiring trip, but it might make it hard to spot things (so I put in plenty of scans).

We see a waterfall way up on the rocks. Looks more vertical from afar, but it turns out we zig-zag our way up there and actually cross said waterfall! It's at this point where the dense forrest gives way to the rocky mountainous growth displacing the trees. Looking down it's almost a 45-degree grade (which is just frickin' sweet, lemmetellya!) and you can see all the trees you just emerged from.

There are damaged timbers from past fires but also from man's efforts. I don't recall if it was logging or mining, but there are leftover contraptions from the early part of the last century. It was some sort of elevator to raise and lower the wood or the gold (I don't recall which). Group snapshot is in front of the remnants of one of these (that's me perched on a rock in the front left with scarf around neck, the grin is genuine). Later we pass it again on the way down and I snap a pic of one of the other leftover wooden frames and wires draping down the rocks.

At the top of the climb there's a plateau. This is where the waterfall came from! It feeds in from this pool/lake. I think it's a giant flat lake but then right out of an epic movie the fog parts magically revealing a nearly vertical summit literally < 100 feet away on the other side of the water/basin/pool.

I also snagged some shots near the area we took our lunch break: that drop is pretty close to where we sat to eat.

All in all just a stupendous outing, for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DUAC r1 p00.jpg   DUAC r1 p03.jpg   DUAC r1 p04.jpg   DUAC r1 p05.jpg   DUAC r1 p09.jpg  

DUAC r1 p10.jpg   DUAC r1 p13.jpg   DUAC r1 p14.jpg   DUAC r1 p18.jpg   DUAC r1 p21.jpg  

DUAC r1 p22.jpg   DUAC r2 p06.jpg   DUAC r2 p09.jpg   DUAC r2 p12.jpg   DUAC r2 p07.jpg  

Last edited by Markster; 01-06-2011 at 07:45 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: fixed
    -Markster

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Man! I sure hope someone figures it out, that looks like a great hike and the location!!!! wow!
    Douglas Westphal

Shooter
    35mm
    That's only about half the photos. I got most of 2 rolls. A number of them are people photos, some are redundant (nice, but don't show anything new to help locate the place) and so forth. Definitely one of my more cherished photo sets.
    -Markster

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hmmm... It is indeed a beautiful area and an awesome-looking hike. I don't immediately recognize it - I've been on dozens that look very similar. I'll pose the question to my hiking partner as he's been hiking longer than I have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Howzabout contacting the folks you went with and ask where you were.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    35mm
    Don't know any of them. I recall maybe a name or two, but one of those is for the club president's dog (Lucy, I think).

It was a club outing and outside of meeting the folks that one time I rarely saw any of them later (thus never remembered names, never stayed in contact).

My 2 sisters with me on the trip also can't recall, though I've bugged them enough times over the past year or so. They don't recall the place either.
    -Markster

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin