Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,358   Online: 1035

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ya'll missed a good time walking around the Baker neighborhood. This being our second tour of the environs, I think toro_mike and I left no photographic stone unturned. We also were entertained by a neighborhood denizen for, well, just about too long. I'll post some photos before long.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK, here are a few shots for inclusion here. I shot my Ektar in my Contax RX and 28mm Distagon all day. To see all of the ones I uploaded see the flickr set.

Shooter
    35mm
    Nice flickr gallery.

I'm really starting to like Ektar.

On these:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mathoma...7626112396464/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mathoma...7626112396464/

Would you say that the blue is accurate to your memory? Or is it a tad overblown by the film?

I'm just curious how close you would say these are to the real thing.

EDIT: I mean the teal-type blue on the buildings, not the blue sky.
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, Ektar is a high-saturation film. Having said that, the colors are what made me take these shots in the first place (I crouched down just-so to get the truck situated against those background colors), so they are probably close to the actual scene. But I am horrible at remembering what things looked like and whether it matches the film. I have some red/green colorblindness, but I should be OK at matching the colors as I perceive them.

I'm one of those folks that likes "hyper-real", so I'll even add a bit of saturation in post processing if the photo doesn't "pop" (yes I post process my film scans ). I try to keep it tasteful, but perhaps I fail sometimes.
    Last edited by mathomas; 02-23-2011 at 10:24 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: fix grammar

Shooter
    35mm
    No no! Your shots look good! I've seen that before as well where I'll take a photo that looks like it's too bright but then I go past the spot again or remember better later and realize "Nope, that's just how the subject looked!"

I've only shot 1 test roll of Ektar so far so I don't know all the quirks and foibles. I was just curious if that was an over-saturation of the teal range of color. I guess not!
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

NICE!

Great shots Mike! Well done. I especially like this one that you took:

Very nice! I'll get some posted here shortly...

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Okay, here are a couple of mine - all are shot with my Pentax 6x7, with new light seals, on Kodak TMY-2 and Ilford FP4+... I will drop off my color film at Englewood Camera today or tomorrow for processing. I'm really anxious to see the results as I shot a roll of the new Kodak Portra 400 in 120.

The rest are on my Flickr page HERE.

The scans look a touch dark here at work, but looked fine on my home screen (semi-calibrated). Excuse the scans, I just quickly did it and paid very little attention to clean up. You may even see some newton rings on some of them. That's what happens when you just scan through the negative holders!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by toro_mike View Post

They look great for having been scanned through the negative holders. I like the last one the best, perhaps because I shot from the same location (different take, of course), and yours looks great in B&W. I like the fact that it's all sharp, but very gritty. When I saw mine from the same spot I loved the color and texture but I wished I'd chosen to stop down to get the rubble. Not digging my out-of-focus rubble as much as I thought I would.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mathomas View Post
    They look great for having been scanned through the negative holders. I like the last one the best, perhaps because I shot from the same location (different take, of course), and yours looks great in B&W. I like the fact that it's all sharp, but very gritty. When I saw mine from the same spot I loved the color and texture but I wished I'd chosen to stop down to get the rubble. Not digging my out-of-focus rubble as much as I thought I would.
    Thanks! 6x7 really does lend itself to sharp, gritty shots. I think it will look fantastic enlarged to 11x14!

I LOVE the colors and texture in your shot... Fantastic!

I would have to agree about the OOF rubble... I find it distracting as my eye is immediately drawn to it. I don't, however, think it ruins the shot.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin