Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,999   Posts: 1,524,320   Online: 782

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

snowshowing/boarding/skiing.... to carry or not to carry?

Naturally some of you must partake of the outdoor winter activities... Do you find yourself more burdened with camera bag and gear, or do you always take it along despite the loss of mobility it incurs?

I have a moderately sized camera bag. It's unobtrusive IMO. However I also have a photographer's vest that I can wear under my jacket and stuff with cameras but I am a bit more scared of taking a fall or a spill and landing on a lense.

Forget bruised ribs, I'd be out a lens!

I bring it up due to an upcoming snowboarding session (next weekend, or possibly the one after that) I have planned. I figured it would be interesting to hear the take from other Denver area folks.
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I take my 35mm rangefinder out when I ski. While it has yet to happen, the thought of the camera cracking a rib during a yard sale has crossed my mind.
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found carrying a 35mm slr and lenses in a backpack a pain getting on and off the chair lifts and it also throws your balance off. I now have a folding 35mm camera and a Tessina 35 Auto L single frame 35mm camera, but I have not had a chance to ski with them.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Back in the day, when I lived in Park City, Ut. I always had a Ricoh 500G, and then later on an Olympus XA, in a pocket of my parka. I miss that Ricoh.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have snowshoe-ed for an afternoon carrying a shoulder bag with either a Koni-Omega Rapid or a 4x5 Speed Graphic plus tripod. It's not terribly difficult, but then I'm never more than a mile or two from the car.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You're going to hate me for this answer however, in a previous life I had the experience of photographing the occasional world cup downhill ski races. Along with the video crews it was not uncommon to ski/side-slip the course handholding the 400/F2.8 or 500/F4 with a backpack of film, spare cameras, crampons etc. That certainly focused the mind on the ski-ing!
    Being slightly more pertinent; having seen those types of lenses take a tuumble and having a tumble with a back pack of gear - providing the accident speed was not too high there was more danger trauma from getting snow wedged on a lens than the tumble. High speed crash, different story.
    Key point being, anything that detracts from your ski ability is a danger. A novice could break bones with a point and shoot, a skilled skier could take a 5x4.
    Try a bum bag (fanny pack in usa?) instead of a rucsack.

Sim2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim2 View Post
    You're going to hate me for this answer however, in a previous life I had the experience of photographing the occasional world cup downhill ski races. Along with the video crews it was not uncommon to ski/side-slip the course handholding the 400/F2.8 or 500/F4 with a backpack of film, spare cameras, crampons etc. That certainly focused the mind on the ski-ing!
    Being slightly more pertinent; having seen those types of lenses take a tuumble and having a tumble with a back pack of gear - providing the accident speed was not too high there was more danger trauma from getting snow wedged on a lens than the tumble. High speed crash, different story.
    Key point being, anything that detracts from your ski ability is a danger. A novice could break bones with a point and shoot, a skilled skier could take a 5x4.
    Try a bum bag (fanny pack in usa?) instead of a rucsack.

Sim2.
    Not the least of which having metal and glass crammed into the ribs is not really my idea of fun.

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    I've got a Lowepro Rezo 140. As seen here (thank you google)

Size compared to backpacks:

I usually wear it under my left arm slung over my right shoulder, and slide it halfway around the small of my back when doing a lot of moving/hiking/walking.
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Markster, that looks an awful lot [awful chosen on purpose] like one of those dread digi-snappers and not a REAL camera!
    Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    Well I exercise the 5th on that one!! It was a birthday gift and I sorely needed one...

See the attached images (these I took of my own bag rather than quick google search)

It's not bad really.. just about perfect height to stand a 35mm on its end, but not much room for lenses... I have two stacked on top of each other, and then the long 200mm takes up its own area... Creative use of the velcro spaces but overall cramped.

EDIT: Oh, P.S. That's most of my kit there. There's a 50mm f/1.8 I left out and in lieu of the 28-75mm zoom (which may be bad, so the 50mm may go back in). Other than that, my old tripod, and my Power Winder A (which I don't use all the time) that's my gear.

EDIT2: P.P.S. When I just had a couple lenses and didn't bother storing the flash in there, it was rather nice. But as your kit grows, so must your bag.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lowepro1.jpg   lowepro2.jpg  
    -Markster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin