Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,154   Online: 1089

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Liberty Bell came to my local airport a while back with a B-24. Talk about rare flying examples, I think the b-24 was one of three left in flying condition in the world. Sad they lost the plane, amazing that everyone was okay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Holy Mole! Another B-17 bites the dust. Sad...and extremely fortunate that nobody was killed.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is art still with us? He used to post a lot in the newsgroup soc.history.war.world-war-ii. Been reading his stuff in there for years and never knew he was a photographer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To the best of my knowledge, he is still with us. On May 2, 2009 the following post appeared in The Online Photographer (at the very bottom of the page):

"I'm not dead yet. In fact my entire WW II crew of the B-26 Willie the Wolf are all gone now. I am the last man standing of that brave crew."

Art Kramer
    344th Bomb Group
    Bombardier on B-26 Willie the Wolf
    England France Belgium Holland Italy Germany

In my youth I followed his photography writing, especially during his time at Modern Photography. During all those years I had no idea of his service during WWII. Years later I stumbled across the website I linked to above and was mesmerized by his combat stories and photographs. (Don't miss this story or this photo.)

I'm sure there are many others who also had no idea of his wartime exploits, but instead knew of him only through his photography.

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, that explains what flew over Chatfield reservoir while I was there. What an amazing plane and what an experience seeing it fly over!! Thanks for pointing this out!
    Mike

"Your apparent youth belies your worldly knowledge."
    Flickr Account

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    If there's a bright side to look on (apart from the fact that all survived), it's that in such cases there are usually salvageable parts that go on to keep other examples flying or to complete static exhibits.
    One of the saddest documentaries I remember concerned the restoration of a B-29 somewhere in the Arctic Circle. After many problems getting it airworthy it was ready to fly out when a relatively minor fuel leak caused a major fire and the aircraft's total destruction. Unfortunately aluminium burns rather well in the right circumstances, as the British Navy discovered in the Falklands War.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My father was in the Army Air Corps during WWII. I took him and my 2 sons for a ride on a Collings Foundation B-17 for his 83rd birthday. We arranged it as a surprise for him, and needless to say he was thrilled, teary eyed, and reminiscent. The staff were all wonderful and very solicitous—he needed a bit of help getting on and off the plane. It was a good day....

Richard Wasserman

http://www.richardwasserman.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    If there's a bright side to look on (apart from the fact that all survived), it's that in such cases there are usually salvageable parts that go on to keep other examples flying or to complete static exhibits.
    One of the saddest documentaries I remember concerned the restoration of a B-29 somewhere in the Arctic Circle. After many problems getting it airworthy it was ready to fly out when a relatively minor fuel leak caused a major fire and the aircraft's total destruction. Unfortunately aluminium burns rather well in the right circumstances, as the British Navy discovered in the Falklands War.

Steve
    That pissed me off so much. That guy was an idiot. He insisted on flying it off the iceberg, against everyone's recommendations and pleas. Way to ruin a rare piece of history for a chance at pumping your own ego, buddy! All he had to do was ship it to a safe location, and it could have been saved.

I believe there may only be one airworthy B-29 left. I happened to see it by chance at Camarillo airport in Southern California maybe 10 years ago. I was heading south on 101 and saw it in the distance sitting by a hangar. I was surprised, to say the least! I was only able to get up to a fence about 50 feet from it.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And from what I understand, the fire was caused by leakage from a small jury-rigged tank for an auxiliary generator, which they in their haste to fly, never secured adequately.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    And from what I understand, the fire was caused by leakage from a small jury-rigged tank for an auxiliary generator, which they in their haste to fly, never secured adequately.
    I've seen that documentary a couple of times and it irritates me to no end. All that preparation to get the thing just barely airworthy, and a mistake made in haste and hubris trashes the plane and the project in about five minutes. Not to mention two perfectly good engines, brought in just for that purpose, are now at the bottom of the frozen lake.
    Pentax: 6x7 MLU
    Olympus: OM-1n
    Graflex: Miniature (2x3) Speed Graphic

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin