Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,383   Online: 923

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Did anybody else see the B-17 at Centennial Airport?

On Saturday I went to see Aluminum Overcast at Centennial Airport just outside Denver. There were several other planes on display, WWII re-enactors in US and German uniforms, vehicles and merchandise. there were free plane rides for kids ane you could ride the B-17 for $450. Watching them fire up those 4 Wright Cyclonesis impressive. I burned a roll of tmax in the C33 and finished off some Portra 35mm.

The C33 was a big hit! Several of the old vets told stories about the TLRs they bought while stationed in Japan during the occupation. One sold his C33 when he went digital. One of the re-enactors (sporting a .45 M1911A1 and an M3) now does wet plate and is interested in trying medium format. An elderly British woman was standing next to me as we watched the B-17 taxi for takeoff. She has a C220 on display in her apartment Her daughters are always lobbying to see who gets it in her will. She felt inspired to get it out next week and shoot. One of the ground crew asked if it was a stereo camera.

Still unfamiliar with the camera after 1/2 dozen rolls, I fumbled the one chance I had during takeoff.

Shooter
    Large Format
    One just went down near Aurora, Illinois.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    WWII B-17 makes emergency landing outside Chicago
    Associated Press via Yahoo News, June 13, 2011

Aerial still photographs of crash scene
    Chicago Tribune online, June 13, 2011

Aerial video of the burning aircraft
    UPI.com, June 13, 2011

Photo #12 suggests it may have been the Liberty Belle. Apparently all seven on board walked away without injury, so in spite of the sad pictures, it was a good landing.

Not very many of these left anymore...

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 06-13-2011 at 03:33 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Add photo and video links...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is always an experience to see these things flying. To my recollection, there were about 12,000 made, and by the end of the war, 3/4 of those had been either lost or damaged beyond repair. Most of the rest were trashed after the way.

OTOH, there are plenty of B-25's still flying. One of them (a bare metal glass-nosed model) used to cruise over all the time when I lived in Charlseton, SC. (And F-117's, F-16's, and A-10's as well, as we had an AFB there. I have never heard a more earth-shatteringly loud jet as the F-16! They would look about as big as a red ant in the sky, but it felt like they were strafing my apartment at 100 feet off the ground!)
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Images
    Bet that farmer is pissed. I especially liked the first two shots with the fireman and the itty bitty fire extinguisher.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Once in a while they have old air shows here. Really love those old airplanes!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I rode in a Collings Foundation B-17. It was about $400 and was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for the cost of a car payment. As someone interested in history, it was really cool, and I highly suggest it if it's going to be in your area. They are a very skilled bunch who take very good care of the planes. You have to stay seated on takeoff and landing (basically strapped to the floor in the corner somewhere; I was in the radio room). Once aloft, you can wander about the plane from the tail to the nose. Nothing like walking the little catwalk up the middle of the bomb bay while flying knowing the history of the plane. Looking down is pretty cool through the big nose. They had a hatch off of the roof in the radio room while I was in it and you could poke your head up if you could deal with 180 knot airstream and look out from the top of the plane. Got some digital photos here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Got some digital photos here.

Film photos would be more chronologically appropriate!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Film photos would be more chronologically appropriate!
    If they're not Agfa or Fuji!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's a LIFE magazine set of 40 period photographs of B-17s (and others) and related subjects. Many of these are in color, which is not common.

Notable is color photo #15:

"LIFE photographer Margaret Bourke-White sits atop the engine of the B-17 bomber "Flying Flit-Gun" in Northamptonshire, England, in the fall of 1942."

She appears to be posing while holding some flavor of a Rolliflex TLR (adorned with a crooked lens hood).

Also notable is b&w photo #28:

"The engine of an American B-26 Marauder bomber falls off after the plane was hit by ground fire over the French city of Toulon in 1942."

I've never seen anything quite like this before. Longtime photography writer Art Kramer ("View from Kramer") flew as a bombardier in the B-26 Willie the Wolf during WWII. He managed to take his camera along for the ride for some memorable pictures.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 06-14-2011 at 04:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin