Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,547   Online: 976

Thread: Soligor 45 CLA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Soligor 45 CLA

A friend at work has a Soligor 45 that his grandfather brought back from being stationed in Japan during the occupation in the 50's. It's a cheap, little tourist 35mm with zone focusing and uncoupled viewfinder - but really handsome and in excellent condition. He remembers his grandfather letting him play with it when he was very little. Now he would like to give it a go and see what kind of pictures he can take with it. That will definitely require a CLA because every moving part is pretty tight due to its age.

I'm putting this in the Denver forum because he prefers to take it to somebody in the west-metro area and not do it by mail. But that does not rule out sending it off, so any recommendations are welcome. I told him it would cost $50-75. Is that about right?

Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    35mm
    Metro Camera at 330 West Hampden Ave (303 934-2471) runs about $150-$160 for a full CLA on Canon A-1 and AE-1 models. I suspect it might be more than you quoted simply due to the level of jamming. It requires a full tear down and cleaning.

They're not the only place, but that's where I had my AE-1P's CLA done a number of years back and it's still purring. If I had to get a full CLA on another Canon I'd go there again.

However they're not the only game in town. They're pretty far south and close early weekdays so your best bet is to catch them Saturdays.

I think the webpage is www.metrocamera.com but not sure. Definitely call them and ask if it's a make/model they know how to service. It's worth a phone call if nothing else.

I know I asked my photo processors based on some comments during discussions and they used to do camera repairs back when film was bigger than digital, and still had the tools. They took a look at my defunct used A-1 for me too, so maybe other places are like that too. This was Shutter Priority, just east of Federal on 120th, north side of the street past that Christian Academy with the decidedly arabian archways.
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm. Looks like my first reply to Markster got lost in the bit bucket.

Markster, thank you. The guy lives in golden to West Hampden is no great distance for him. I will pass the info on.
    Last edited by pbromaghin; 09-29-2011 at 12:24 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: fix typo

Shooter
    35mm
    No worries. If they can't or won't and he's willing to ship, I noticed one of the APUG.ORG sponsors was:

http://www.zackscamerarepair.biz/

And they advertise older camera repair and will accept shipped orders (i.e. you mail it to them).

noticed it just today, thought of this thread.
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you for thinking of it. I'll tell him.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Denver Pro Photo has an onsite repair guy that did my Pentax 6x7. He did a great job and the cost was around $80.

They are on Cherokee just north of Alameda (http://g.co/maps/a232m)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin