Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,113   Online: 813

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Anyone heard of the Center for New Age Photography?

Has anyone ever heard of this group? I was told baout it a few days ago and was wondering if anyone has ever heard of it.

http://www.cfnap.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've used the darkroom there a few times. It's over an hour drive for me, but working there is much more efficient my temporary darkroom setup. There were generally people using the studio spaces when I was there. Any particular questions?

Jon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is a group formed by the "new old", the baby boomers. The "Center for Old Age Photography" was a right wing subversive plot which employed subliminal messages to twist the minds of liberals, but all of its members have since passed away. The new group is reported to be more liberal, but is still somewhat to the right of Barry Goldwater.

"New Age Photography" is actually a code name for those who wish for the untimely demise of film and tends heavily toward digital images in its use of subliminal messages about film addicts and their habits in the darkroom. Personally, I find this reference to "New Age" to be coarse and vulgar. Those people who fondle their crystals and do aroma therapy are always suspect. Film still rules and digital drools.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil
    This is a group formed by the "new old", the baby boomers. The "Center for Old Age Photography" was a right wing subversive plot which employed subliminal messages to twist the minds of liberals, but all of its members have since passed away. The new group is reported to be more liberal, but is still somewhat to the right of Barry Goldwater.

"New Age Photography" is actually a code name for those who wish for the untimely demise of film and tends heavily toward digital images in its use of subliminal messages about film addicts and their habits in the darkroom. Personally, I find this reference to "New Age" to be coarse and vulgar. Those people who fondle their crystals and do aroma therapy are always suspect. Film still rules and digital drools.
    Well... yeah.. I thought everybody knew that bit of history

Once I saw the room full of 4x5 englargers, I didn't really care what he called it

Jon

Images
    I am color blind and am not able to read the red against that back ground. Is there anything important that I am missing or are they just headings for the different sections.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jking
    I've used the darkroom there a few times. It's over an hour drive for me, but working there is much more efficient my temporary darkroom setup. There were generally people using the studio spaces when I was there. Any particular questions?

Jon
    I'm interested in them for the same reason you used them. It is a place to rent darkroom and possibly studio space. I was trolling for opinions about the place.

Was the darkroom well stocked? Equipment in good condition, clean, functional?

Did you look at the studio closely? What did you think of it? How about the equipment there?

Any overall opinon? Is this the best/only place of it's kind in the area (it must be if you drive and hour)?

Thanks
    Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    New Age Photography
    Does that mean that all chemicals are organic, fresh salad will be served if requested at the time of booking and tree hugging is compulsary at the end of the session?

Max

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I am color blind and am not able to read the red against that back ground.
    I'm not color blind, and that's tough for me to read.

As long as it's text (and not an image *of* text), you can drag-select it to make it go to white text on a black background. I do that a lot with some of the more "adventurous" color schemes around the web...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dans
    I'm interested in them for the same reason you used them. It is a place to rent darkroom and possibly studio space. I was trolling for opinions about the place.
    He's got a floor in a mill building in Lawrence, next to Malden Mills (Polartec people) which gives him a lot of space.

Was the darkroom well stocked? Equipment in good condition, clean, functional?
    He's got 6 or 7 Omega D5500's & a Leica 35mm enlarger. The majority of the lenses are 50mm or so, but he has several MF and 4x5 lenses - I just moved the lenses to the enlarger I used. I ended up bringing my own developer, and used his stop and fix. There's a seperate room for washing and drying. Once I got a rhythm going, I was cranking out work prints much faster than I do at home in the temporarily converted bathroom.

Did you look at the studio closely? What did you think of it? How about the equipment there?
    He's got several varied setups, with strobes, I believe - the big advantage of the mill location is the space and ceiling height.

Any overall opinon? Is this the best/only place of it's kind in the area (it must be if you drive and hour)?
    I live in southern New Hampshire, and I haven't been able to find any place closer. There are a couple in Manchester, but you need to be taking a course to use them.

The place works well and Al is helpful and is making a reall effort to make sure the facility is serving his clients needs. He also has a bunch of electronic paraphenalia that is used to make prints in ways we don't talk about here

He's always responded pretty quickly to email. I haven't been there in about 2 months, but I'm hoping to get down there right after Xmas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm curious about his price structure. Is it a flat fee for time and additional charges for materials used?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin