Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,571   Online: 984

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

NESOP workshops...any good?

Hey i live in the Northshore and want to begin developing and printing my own negatives since i just got a medium format camera. The New England School of Photography has evening workshops for a semester and one of the classes is basic darkroom. Have any one taken this workshop or heard about it? or know anything about the quality of these programs? I'm wondering if it would be worth it.
    thank you,
    John

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    We rent dark room space and can help you with the technical aspect of film processing and printing! We are very competitive price wise and we're not a gang darkroom, but each renter is in a separate space. We are also a custom lab so you can do the work yourself or we can do it for you. The lab is equipped with high end enlargers in 4x5 and 8x10 format and a film room equipped with a JOBO processor Call us at 617-459-9209 if you are interested in accessing the lab.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I am not sure what the workshops are worth. The darkrooms at nesop are OK, the last time i was there was 2006.
    I tought a continuing ed class at SMFA back then that was actually very good. I know they have since changed their darkroom facilities, but in any case, the resources there will be by far better, and i think that for the same money you will get more knowledge based education, but then again, i have no knowledge of the actual workshops at nesop.

La Pete is a place to check out as well, as noted above.

BTW - after you have processed your films and want to digitize them or print them with ink - a cool place called Aviary gallery, in Jamaica Plain, no offers a pretty impressive digital lab setup for rent.

Another place to check is if Umass lowell has any photo workshops, that would be closer to your area.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I recently moved to Boston and am looking for any good photography classes/workshops. Any suggestions ? I am close to Beacon Hill/west End and am looking for something that is public transit available. Thanks in advance!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I've enrolled in a several different NESOP workshops. The best were the B&W darkroom (Nick Johnson), Color Darkroom (Tom Petit, now deceased), and Studio Lighting (Bruno Debas). I'd highly recommend any of these.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was a teaching assistant at NESOP in the 90s and highly recommend Nick Johnson. I'm sorry to hear Tom Petit passed on. He had a unique teaching style.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Everything in Boston as far as schools and photo labs, is public transit accessible (how long it will take you to get there is another question).

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by krifartida View Post
    Everything in Boston as far as schools and photo labs, is public transit accessible (how long it will take you to get there is another question).
    NESOP is in Kenmore Sq, so keep an eye on the Red Sox schedule. You'll need extra time when they are playing at home.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin