Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,774   Online: 1012

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Thanks, those are sadly all in the wrong director in .
    would have only been maybe 1.25 hours round trip from woonsocket .. ( to levines )

but the wrong direction is the wrong direction ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Woonsocket... What a lovely name for a place. Makes me curious.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

The Beach Party is back!

Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    It's not a lovely place, they call it the armpit of Rhode Island, it's a ghetto if RI would have a ghetto, and my friends desperately want to get out but can't afford to yet.

They call it the woon...
    Last edited by StoneNYC; 07-19-2014 at 07:39 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: info
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    it is one of the places where the US industrial revolution thrived.
    between 1800 and about 1960 the place was full of textile mills ( as was everywhere along the blackstone river valley )
    and there was us rubber plant there as well. after all the mills closed
    and went south, then to mexico and now other places the mills buildings are just a reminder
    of when water was king. the name is a native american name ( narragansett? iroquois? )
    which means something like "thunder mist" referring to the waterfalls
    on the blackstone river. in the mid 1800s there was a huge influx
    of farm-folk ( first girls then their families ) from the french regions of canada
    and they worked in the mills in woonsocket as well as everywhere else in new england
    places like the boots mill in lowel massachusetts built dormitories for the girls, had schools &c ( 1840s )
    and as late as the 1970s french was still the main language of the town and
    a lot of people still refer to the town as " woon - sockettte " ( said with a french accent )

sk grimes is located in woonsocket, ( adam &co. / grimes camera repair is too... steve (grimes) used to make me laugh --
    he used to always say he was located in downtown woonsocket "city on the move" ..

if you like mill buildings ( big and small ) made of field stone / random ashlar construction, brick wood
    duplex ( side by side 1+2 story ) mill workers housing, and a downtown that looked like time stopped in about 1960 you might like woonsocket

http://www.ci.woonsocket.ri.us/
    http://www.google.com/search?q=woons...w=1511&bih=760

i worked with a bunch of people who grew up there, it was not a bad place to live ...
    Last edited by jnanian; 07-19-2014 at 08:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the name is French...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I rather expected som idyllic New England resort...

But as you said, one may like that too. Over here the remnants of the mines got en vogue and those workers housing estates.

Thank you all. As repeatedly stated I learn so much about the USA at Apug.´

My secondary school was located in an old textile mill. Downtown, in the whore district. What I only got to know much later. We pupils left before those ladies appeared at night.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Much of New England is a mixture of old and new. Not so much different than Germany, I think, except that the old there is often much older than the old here.
    Many of the old mill buildings have been restored into new use, sometimes a few times over. But they are everywhere and the supply exceeds the demand in many places.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    They are taking down many of the mills here in Woonsocket Rhode Island these days, because they are starting to set them on fire and cause vagrancy etc.... It's sad because the old abandoned mills were so beautiful, I actually filmed movie here a few years back and now I see where I filmed was destroyed, the movie was called surrogates with Bruce Willis, it wasn't a very good movie, and I blame the editor because I know the scenes that I was in were amazingly shot, so they just cut it together very poorly, but all the scenes where they are derelict people Hippie type, were all filmed here in Rhode Island at these Abandoned Mills.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    there are always mill-fires,
    but they happen in every city that has mills
    and people that unfortunately have to live on the streets get caught in the middle.
    its not just woonsocket ...
    the historic preservation commission is pretty strong in RI
    they are reusing more mills than they are tearing them down ...
    PM me for details

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hey guys, one of you mentioned you are friends with one of the professors at Paier College of Art. But I can't recall which professor and who knew them. Lol.

Anyone remember that?

~Stone

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin