Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,703   Online: 866

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wish I could be there. Sounds like a lot of fun.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Yea, It's a celebration of getting back to nature. It's specific to the Appalachian Trail (AT)...but after doing more research I guess it's pretty much celebrated everywhere as part of the summer solstice and getting into nature, and many through hikers that are hiking the whole AT do it, but they also have a gathering at the beginning (or end depending on your perspective) in Georgia I believe, and go naked in celebration of getting back to nature.

Anyway it's always June 21st and almost every year I go hiking for about an hour on the AT, I always carry a bandanna just in case I encounter kids or old people. I met one old man once with a dog and he said his daughter had warned him to be on the lookout so he wasn't so shocked LOL.

Anyway I had missed the last few, and though I've always gone alone, this year I was going to go with my girlfriend who is more adventurous and have a good hike, I can't tell you how invigorating it is to be hiking in the nude, pack on your back but nothing else, it's very freeing and I can see how the natives used to feel before we came and corrupted the land.

So now I have a decision to make because I already made these plans... ugh... should have had a POLL!!

Well now you know about Naked Hiking Day... lol

Some links...

http://skywalker-pct.com/june-21st-h...lachian-trail/

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/31447805/n.../#.UzF4-tznum8

http://www.backpacker.com/nude_hikin...aily_dirt/1116

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nude...ticle-1.377623
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. It just sounded strange to me. In the UK, anything which gets covered by water at high tide cannot be owned by anyone.

Steve.
    Steve,
    The same is true on most of our coastline. The trick is getting to the part that is between the high tide and the low tide mark without walking over private land! Technically, one could arrive by boat, but the beach has a "no watercraft" area for swimmers that precludes that option. The only state I know that has a different rule is Maine, where the private property line is the low tide mark so, if your aren't wet, you're on private property. There may be other rules in other states of which I am unaware. In Oregon, all of the coast is public property. A person cannot own the shoreline. Driving south from Oregon to California, one has quite a surprise in trying to get to the shore, there are more "No Trespassing" signs there than I have ever seen before!

In New England, home-owners' associations are pretty common. Think of it as a club that has beach front property, with varying degrees of amenities tacked on. I've been to beaches on Long Island where there were clubhouses, attendants, lounge chairs and a bar. Ours is pretty simple. They rake up the beach every day, have a lifeguard during the day and try to keep things neat. They also have social events during the season, some better than others. There are many public access beaches nearby as well–some quite lovely–but my wife's family has been a part of this beach association since the 1940's.

Stone,
    Brings new concern for bug bites to mind, I'm afraid. i only like to get so close to nature and no farther. Have a good time.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    Steve,
    The same is true on most of our coastline. The trick is getting to the part that is between the high tide and the low tide mark without walking over private land! Technically, one could arrive by boat, but the beach has a "no watercraft" area for swimmers that precludes that option. The only state I know that has a different rule is Maine, where the private property line is the low tide mark so, if your aren't wet, you're on private property. There may be other rules in other states of which I am unaware. In Oregon, all of the coast is public property. A person cannot own the shoreline. Driving south from Oregon to California, one has quite a surprise in trying to get to the shore, there are more "No Trespassing" signs there than I have ever seen before!

In New England, home-owners' associations are pretty common. Think of it as a club that has beach front property, with varying degrees of amenities tacked on. I've been to beaches on Long Island where there were clubhouses, attendants, lounge chairs and a bar. Ours is pretty simple. They rake up the beach every day, have a lifeguard during the day and try to keep things neat. They also have social events during the season, some better than others. There are many public access beaches nearby as well–some quite lovely–but my wife's family has been a part of this beach association since the 1940's.

Stone,
    Brings new concern for bug bites to mind, I'm afraid. i only like to get so close to nature and no farther. Have a good time.
    Not many bugs when you're moving...

Plus it's so heavily used there aren't many, it's if you stopped and were hanging around (no pun intended) that I would worry.

I've never had any bug issues... Maybe in other parts of the world.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've penciled it in...now if I could only talk the bride into coming...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Not many bugs when you're moving...

Plus it's so heavily used there aren't many, it's if you stopped and were hanging around (no pun intended) that I would worry.

I've never had any bug issues... Maybe in other parts of the world.
    in ct at whitey's place you'd be hangingout ... not moving around
    so i would imagine your familyjewels would be a snack for a squadron of noseeums
    unless of course you decided to wear a big mosquito net ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Damn, damn, damn!! I've wanted to attend one of these for years, but now I'm a thousand miles away. Otoh, I've been visiting the beach regularly all "winter" long... hehehe.... I'll be with you in spirit through the ether!!! Have a wonderful time, all y'all. (Yeah...I know, that's redundant visiting redundant. Yikes!....it's south ern or something!)
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    there are more "No Trespassing" signs there than I have ever seen before!
    There are lots here too but they are meaningless as trespass is only a civil offence under English law. The signs usually say "Trespassers Will Be Prosecuted" - No they won't!!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anyone can come to my beaches...you just have to pay for parking.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew B. View Post
    Anyone can come to my beaches...you just have to pay for parking.
    Excellent. I will walk there (Americans might want to do a Google search for the concept of walking somewhere!!).

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin