Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,914   Posts: 1,521,758   Online: 1061

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow. Sorry folks. Been under the gun to finish a bunch of webstuff for school and haven't even visited APUG in days. (hands shaking, haunted look in eyes...)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hahn
    I also have a polaroid back for a 4x5, and I know Whitey has one, cause I donated it to him...
    Got two of them, actually, Bill. The one which you so kindly donated and another which came with the Calumet 401 that I just fixed up.

The possibility for portrait workshops in the VPC is exciting- all that glass! Photograms also sounds interesting, but less so for me. I guess I want to photograph what's really out there - I can paint the other stuff.

As for Belmont Hill workshops. The best bets for the space being really "without kids" are the MLK holiday weekend and the middle of March, when we are on vacation. We have a set of lights, some with umbrella reflectors, some remote flash equipment (old, but usable) and a small variety of backdrops, incuding a theater. (Holly is not only the photo teacher, she is a lighting designer for music events in the real world and the tech director here.) Depending on what show is going up, and what state the set is in, there may be a scrim and interesting theater lighting possible.

There are two 4x5 monorails here. (Thanks again, Bill!) and maybe a tripod or two that are heavy enough for a studio set-up of larger cameras. Antique lenses anyone? I'm fitting up two of those old Petzvals (see for portrait use."Jim Galli Style" to fit at least a speed graphic and one for the Calumet. Those are fun. Even get to use some sort of black-hat magic on the Calumet, since I don't have a shutter for that one. :-/

Any interest in the January date?

And Drew.. For these things, New England is a concept. I think we can lower the drawbridge and let those poor, benighted Middle-Atlantic folks in as well, don't you?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, I agree. There are people from as far away as Scotland I'd love to have at our workshops, never mind Atlanta, Texas and CA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a couple of tripods (my bogen 3021 and a 3036) to use. I can also bring my Calumet Cadet. Sorry, no polaroid back, sold my earlier this year. And I have two White Lightning WL10,000, umbrellas and stands that are available.
    I will talk to Ed Los about the possibilty of a photogram demo/workshop in the future - no big rush.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 16th is the day after my MFA intensive (10 days @ 12-16 hrs/day) wraps up, so I am likely to be pretty beat that day. If you guys meet then, and I can muster the energy to attend, I have a pair of Polaroid 4x5 backs that I will bring. Actually, you guys are free to use them even if I don't go- I live the next town over from Belmont.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Speaking of LF portraiture....

...I just learned something in the Large Format forum. See the "front vs rear focus"
    thread....one of the replies will explain why people doing portraiture with LF equipment
    prefer rear focus....
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't add to the LF polaroid backs, but I have one for my Hassie. I need to learn LOTS about studio lighting.

Shooter
    Multi Format

LF Processing

I've found out that my b&w lab isn't up to snuff..and so really need the darkroom workshop to refresh old skills...I am holding my breath!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by papagene
    Got a question for the group... Anyone interested in seeing some photograms produced? Not just placing an object on to a piece of photo-paper, but a photogram where different cut-outs and a moving light source produces shapes and forms and a range of tones from white to black and everything in between.
    I have a friend who lives right next door in Chicopee who produces these amazing photograms, which can be interpreted as landscapes, figure studies even portraits. I have one I obtained in an exchange with him and it is quite beautiful.
    This could be something down the road for a future gathering. Just throwing out a suggestion - Whitey, he could do a demonstration for your students.

gene
    gene -

i would be very interested in seeing this demonstration.
    i find cameraless photography to be as or more interesting than that with a camera

thanks!

hoping he can make it this time around ..
    john

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Gene,
    The above reply reminded me to reply that I too would love to attend a photogram workshop, I work with adults with mental disabilities and I have been thinking that this could be fun to explore with them, but first I need to learn, thank you for suggesting this!
    Happy Holidays to You and Yours!
    Blessings, Krystyna

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey I just saw this. When's the date? If I'm free, I will come. Unfortunately, so far my work and travels have impeded my presence at these get-togethers.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin