Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,113   Online: 815

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

About that tripod...

...Phong's question made me go down to my basement and retrieve it to look at it. I think it will require a great deal of work to be usable - in particular, the wheels are somewhat locked (there is a locking mechanism, and even when it is freed, the wheels still have problems turning). So unless I manage to fix it don't expect to see it at the workshop. (Like I said, it was one of a 1000 items I bought in a job lot.)

It doesn't have a geared center column. It has a "safety hook", and a knob with a red caution label which points out that turning the knob without the safety hook attached will cause the center column to rise suddenly. If you don't know what you're doing (release hook, turn knob while bent over the tripod) you can deliver a short vicious uppercut to your jaw....
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Some more thoughts....

I will be glad to help people who haven't used a view camera before, or
    polaroid sheet film. I hope to learn about lighting and posing techniques.

As for reimbursing me for any polaroid film, well, if you want to fine, but it isn't necessary.

And were we arguing about who is oldest? I want to stake my claim....
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Film etc.

Bill -there is no reason for you to shoulder all of the cost for the film. I'm willing to bring extra loaded film holders for those who want to use a LF camera and film. They can go home and develop the film and mail me back the holder(s)
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've penciled in the 25th. I can and will bring my 4x5 w/polaroid holder...but have no P film. I'l also bring my 645 with the polaroid holder for that and I do have film which anyone can use with this camera. I'l also bring some 4x5 T-max ready-loads for those who haven't used them. (I'll never load sheet film again!) I think we can schedule a basic 4x5 class from 9 to 10:30 or so, coffee break, then at 11, go over portrait lighting till 12:30, then lunch. At 1330, go into groups for taking portraits.

I generally don't like being in front of a camera...but will pose as long as there is a chair to sit on and a magazine to read!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I may have to retract my last message...as there might be something scheduled for that date...so might not make it that day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 25th sounds good to me. In addition to 4X5, 5X7, and 8X10 cameras + assorted lenses, I can offer this lighting gear:

2 White Lightning 10,000 cans
    3 White Lightning 5000 cans
    Softbox + umbrellas + grids+ reflectors
    minor assortment of muslin backgrounds (forget how many)
    at least one small (6X7 foot) canvas old master (good for head & shoulder)
    folding posing bench, stands, clamps, and other assorted gaffer crapola
    This stuff pretty much stays in my van for location jobs, so it's not a big deal.

If needed, I can also load up the truck with this Photogenic gear:

5 S-200 packs
    2 16" heads w/barns + socks
    1 backlight head
    1 small head in small softbox
    1 fresnel spot head

Of course, I have plenty of stands for all that junk as well. As for tripods, I keep a Bogen 3036 w/3047 head and a 3021 w/Linhof ballhead in the truck. I can also toss in a couple others if need be.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey Bob...are you selling any of that stuff??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With all those "BIG" windows, the gallery will be a great place for available light portraits, but lights can also be used. Downstairs in the library section with the large spiral staircase is another good location. The room next to the library has possibilites also.
    But I am going to try very hard to get the Vault (safety deposit box room) opened for this event. But no promises, for I have asked a few times to have access to that room with no success. Property management closed it because we had some unidentified personnel (building maintenance and/or cleaning crew) go in there and take the brass locking mechanisms form the safety deposit box doors and leave a mess of keys, screws and other crap on the floor.
    It was easier for management to just lock the room than deal with the suspects, their own employees. I will try again tho to gain access for you all.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Vault

Gene-that would be just peachy if we could get in the vault. I know that I could make some good images in there as well. Get it done....
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey whitey, if any help on any upcoming workshop at your school is needed....just let us know...

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin