Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,927   Posts: 1,585,171   Online: 819

Page 1 of 21 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

LF Portraiture Workshop at VPC

I think the best way to proceed is to start a thread for each planned wokshop. As we've discussed in the Future NE events thread, it seems there is interest in meeting at the Valley Photo Center in Springfield, MA to make LF portraits. I, for one, would benefit from a day of shooting/posing with fellow APUGger's with more experience in large format. I don't mind getting in front of the camera, if it'll help my skills behind the camera, and I hope others will be willing to pose, too!

First things first... we need to agree to a date. I can do this either the last weekend in February, 25th or 26th, OR March 25th or 26th.

Let's figure out if these dates work for anyone, and then we will figure out what gear people can bring.

Thank you!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would also be interested in this workshop. I can bring 4X5, 5X7, and 8X10 cameras (with gobs of holders), plus a bunch of studio lighting if necessary (strobes). I have Polaroid capability for the 4X5 and, with any luck on ebay, will have it for 8X10 in a few weeks.

As for which dates are better, I have top check my schedule at work in the next couple of days and make sure it won't conflict with a potential TDY assignment to Hawaii that's coming up.

What's available for accommodations in the area?
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'll bring my 4x5 view camera, a Polaroid adaptor, I'll probably
    buy some polaroid film (I use type 53 - I hope that's right, I have none to hand - simple b&w positive at 800 iso), a reflector and stand. I'm thinking
    4 boxes of 20 sheets, an investment of about $200...will make them available for general use. Also will look at bringing that studio tripod on wheels, that perhaps will help with focusing.

I'll let other people bring lights. As far as I'm concerned, shooting
    large format with strobe lights is a mysterious and dark art practised only
    by a few wizards....:-)

I'm quite willing to sit for portraits, though I won't be surprised if I'm not asked. :-P

Saturdays are always better for me than Sundays.
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Gee, I wondered where those smileys were going :-(
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

March 25

Gee; if we make it March 25 we can celebrate my birthday at the same time....
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have you beat by several weeks....being probably the oldest...except for Gene

Shooter
    Large Format
    FWIW, between Feb 24/25 and Mar 25/26, I much prefer Mar 25/26, and saturdays tend to work better for me than sundays.

I can bring lights, a (medium) softbox, umbrella, stands, flash meter, 4x5 Polaroid holder and film.

Bill, your tripod on wheels sounds most intriguing to me; does it have a geared center column ?

Cheers,

- Phong

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    March 25th is fine with me. I'll probably be doing double duty as I think that is one of the drop off dates for the WNELFP LF work.
    I can bring my 4x5 & 5x7, two tripods and two White Lightning WL10000 & umbrellas.
    Usually you have to hog-tie me, drug me, duct-tape me and nail me to a chair to get me to pose in front of a camera. But I think I can manage to be a good sport and cooperate just this once!

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    March 25 sounds good to me. Help me fight off the blues at the end of my spring break. Lots of cameras, lights and stuff available but... let me ask this as delicately as possible. Is this a blind leading the blind workshop where we all share what we know or is somebody out there really good at this and willing to enlighten those of us fighting the demons of ignorance?

I think every one of us has to sit for at least one portrait. We'll choose straws. Loser gets to photograph me. We can also send out groups to some of the more interesting spots in Springfield. Decay and Rebirth in the Small American City.

I'll start a new thread on another workshop at Belmont Hill. Maybe late this month or next?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like we are leaning toward the March date so far. I'll give it a few more days, and I'd like Gene to weigh in to be sure we don't have any conflicts with the Valley Photo Center.

Whitey, you bring up a point I was a little worried about. I think the day will prove to be most productive if we start with a few demonstrations. Maybe a lighting demonstration, a once over with a large format camera, and then maybe shoot a couple of portraits. After lunch, I think we should break up into smaller groups, and just start shooting. I'm hoping to get a couple sheets of film exposed to bring home to soup, myself. I think there's enough knowledge here, that we are not quite the blind leading the blind, but I think we should be organized and have a plan for the day.

Nothing is set in stone, so if anyone has any other thoughts for how to best organize the day, or ideas for demonstrations, then let me know. As for costs... I think we should reimburse those who bring the polaroid film. In other words, if you shoot, say three 'roids, then plan to pay the cost of the film to whoever brought it.

Or would we rather bring in an instructor, and have one person lead it? (Which would probably mean some kind of fee).

I see these get togethers as an extension of APUG threads. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can from everyone here, and I think getting together for some real hands on shooting would be great opportunity, not to mention a whole lot of fun.

Oh and Peter, if we meet on March 25th, I'll bring the cake

Page 1 of 21 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin