Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,555,912   Online: 1062

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never been to Boston, but if someone wants to hold my hand (j/k) and show me around, I'm game. How's the city for lugging a LF camera around?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    you don't have to walk too far to go from one side to the other....but I think if a few people moved around by car/van from subject matter to subject matter, things would be great. For people who've never been to Boston, you could just follow the freedom trail by the before mentioned car. If you like architecture or city scapes, you're in for a thrill. There was no planning when this city was built and that is what makes it unique.

Plus, I'm sure we could find some ladies to hold your hand if needed! But, not much photography would get done!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does the city allow tripods on weekends ? I have read horror stories of ppl getting busted by NYPD for using tripod etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have never seen or heard of any regulation of the use of tripods on the public sidewalks...doesn't mean that it won't be an issue if some member of law enforcement gets a bee in their bonnet...

I am looking into the Christian Science Center as it was one of the suggested destinations. I know that they have rules about photography on the church grounds, so I want to make sure we would be in compliance with those rules.

Parking in Boston can be a real problem, unless you are willing to pay for garage parking at every site. However, it is quite compact, as Drew mentioned. If we get together for a mixed-format outing, it would be logical to break up into groups by format, as the MF and 35 mm folks will certainly move much more quickly and cover a lot more ground than the LF'ers. Ideally, we should try to identify meeting places that have some parking capacity, nearby interest to give the LF'ers some good subjects without having to hike for miles, but still provide a high enough density of interest that the smaller format folks don't run out of subjects in the first 15 minutes.

I'm hoping to keep these outings relatively open and unstructured- a list of dates, times and locations where there will be APUGers out shooting, and people can participate as they wish...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm hoping to keep these outings relatively open and unstructured- a list of dates, times and locations where there will be APUGers out shooting, and people can participate as they wish...
    With the predictable nature of unpredictable weather, that's a good idea. I would most likely take the T into town (but I shoot 35mm and MF). Parking can be next to impossible, as previously stated. I've never had a problem with a tripod, but the T police will stop you from taking pictures inside South Station. I got to keep my film, but I think my work ID may have helped with that.

I didn't know there were restrictions on photography at the Christian Science Center. They don't have any signs outside, so is it just for the inside?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by winger
    With the predictable nature of unpredictable weather, that's a good idea. I would most likely take the T into town (but I shoot 35mm and MF). Parking can be next to impossible, as previously stated. I've never had a problem with a tripod, but the T police will stop you from taking pictures inside South Station. I got to keep my film, but I think my work ID may have helped with that.

I didn't know there were restrictions on photography at the Christian Science Center. They don't have any signs outside, so is it just for the inside?
    Are they worried about security at South Station? Think of all the people there meeting family members, right off the train, who have their handy digicams. I doubt they get stopped.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are no signs, but the Christian Science Center forbids commercial use of images made on their property. They usually don't say anything to the casual shooter, but the men in yellow coats will come pay a polite visit if they see people with tripods.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Cambridgeside Galleria has all day parking on Saturday and I believe Sunday as well for a flat fee of $4.00. Quick access to the T and Calumet as well.

Marco

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Parking at the Alewife terminal, at the end of the highway portion of Rt 2, is a very convenient way to get into Boston for anyone who may come to the city via Rt 95 - north or west. Easy in, easy out and $4.50 for 24 hours. Red line trains for a fast shot into Cambridge and then Bean-town.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well alright, let's get a date set here Photo Pete, so I can clear out my schedule. Late April... May?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin